Have we rounded the corner for the final time?

I mean, %’s “should” be going up, yes, but in my state we actually have more kids getting sick compared to this time last year.

4 Likes

So much for flattening the curve. 30% increase in reported hospitalizations today. I think I might go home.

:yikes:

In brighter-side news, AL (and other southern, low-vax states), vax rates are increasing bigly.
Shoot, I can’t find what I read earlier today.

NYC covid cases coming back strong. Weekly average up 40% from last week, which was up 65% from the week before, which was up 43% from the week before. My fiancee’s coworker who had covid last year and is vaccinated is in the hospital with a 103 degree fever (don’t know f or sure if it’s delta yet).

Yea, doesn’t seem likely. Our politician’s don’t seem to have the will. BdB announced no more mask mandates.

Meanwhile China gets so much as a whiff, and they’re locking down entire cities to prevent the spread. Granted their vaccine doesn’t seem to be as effective, but the contrast is stark.

We have highly effective vaccines and treatments that are largely the result of the extreme progress and prosperity made possible by a free, open society. An average fully vaccinated person essentially has no risk of death, and perhaps just slight risk of hospitalization, to COVID, delta or otherwise. I’d far prefer that over the kind of society where the government has the power to lock down entire cities following a government official observed whiff.

1 Like

Thank God it was a fat finger. Only 1584, not 1884. But still a 10%+ increase in a day.

My state had 1,000 more cases in June & July 2021 than June & July 2020. And we are not a large state. Significantly more hospitalizations.

China is a dictatorship. We aren’t, and don’t have the means, nor the political will, to completely lock down an area for more than a day or two for any reason at all.

1 Like

Australia is not a dictatorship, they’ve had some pretty severe lockdowns if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Nor the compliant populace (and that goes for Australia as well).

you’re engaged? congrats!

as to the 2nd one, dammit, that sucks. do you know which vaccine?

Cuomo wants mask mandates, but Cuomo was stripped of his power and de Blaso says no masks other than heavily encouraging it.

1 Like

Ty. No idea about which vaccination he got.

Here the big hot-button issue is whether masks will be mandatory in public schools.

I can see maybe making them optional in high school and maybe even junior high / middle school where the majority can be vaccinated. Only optional for the vaccinated though, IMO.

But for K-6 it seems fairly asinine to not require masks. Delta is affecting kids far more than earlier strains and at that age the kids can’t be vaccinated yet. So it seems like a no-brainer. But it’s quite the controversial issue. Sigh.

1 Like

Is that true? I’ve yet to read much about kids being more susceptible to Delta. I think the argument against is how low risk COVID is to that age group, and particularly at very young ages (such as when learning to read) there’s real value in being able to see each other’s faces.

1 Like

So glad my state has a high vaccination rate. Still thinking I’ll go to the concert we planned on - looking at daily cases, we are still doing great compared to average. Afterward we are absolutely quarantining for a week or so.

I don’t know if there are any full blown studies available yet. But it sure seems like Delta is hitting kids harder than prior variants and currently delta is making up 83% of all new cases.