Has GoA become an over 55 community?

This statement confuses me. How does discord allow you to “come and go as long as [you] want” more than GoA or Reddit?

1 Like

I guess that too happened many times.

Newbs in the industry haven’t even heard of the AO. I take courses at uwaterloo and have asked students in the recent past, never heard of it.
But they’ve all heard of fishing with nerds at uwaterloo lol.

Maybe a prerequisite to participating in fishing with nerds should be posting here.

4 Likes

Wait, ao fan has been kicked off? Did I miss some serious drama?

I have no complaints with what this place is and who it attracts…and does not attract.

3 Likes

I used to use /r/actuary a bit but I think it has a bigger demographics problem than we do (or at least I relate more with this site’s demographics). Reddit’s forum probably has more people actively pursuing an actuarial science major in university than credentialed actuaries.

4 Likes

I agree with this sentiment, I used to split my time but after the umpteenth time seeing the same type of comments about DS vs actuarial I gave up. At least here I don’t have to look at threads that do not interest me.
However, we are preaching to the choir here :singer:

1 Like

It is skewed older than the ao. Like others said, I don’t think the ao folks went anywhere en masse. It basically scattered to a few different spots. I am on 2 of the actuarial discord servers too, but haven’t been active there lately.

Hey I still accidentally type in act and hit enter on my browser and end up there. Which I assume is the kind of activity that accounts for at least half of their traffic.

sounds like if this is an over 55 community, they aren’t enforcing it as carefully as other 55+ communities do. but agree with the sentiment and prior statements - there is no pipeline of new members joining from among the exam taking class and that’s how the career and a board would stay young.

The collapse of the old AO happening when everyone was remote probably didn’t help.

1 Like

I wonder (I wonder) who
Will sing (will sing) for me
When I’m called to cross that silent sea
Who will sing for me?

Get off my lawn!!

2 Likes

I’m on three discords, and one of them does have lively chatter about exams. It’s the closest thing out there to the old AO, i think, but discord sucks compared to forums for a lot of stuff, including anything you want to pull up later.

My discord and CS’s are just chat sites for a handful of virtual friends.

Reddit is even worse. I’ve been to the r/actuary, and it’s awful. Or, it was last time i looked, which was a while ago.

Didn’t colonel smoothie copy a lot of the old AO content? It’s possible it would be easier to get permission to post that than to get it from dw Simpson, which probably already recycled those bits.

I think it definitely skews towards those older or later in their careers. I found the forums for the upper level exams quite helpful for that reason.

Agree that reddit and discord are more active, but skew much younger. Neither of those platforms are well suited for exam studying discussion.

Over 55? Nah. Over 40? For sure!

3 Likes

Also, meeting a like minded actuary from across the country for extramarital play sounds like an urban legend.

2 Likes

Man, I missed out on gossip on AO. What couples were there? I’m really only aware of two.

Give it time.

3 Likes