Has a book ever cheated on you?

Inspired by this quote. Got me thinking

Snow In August - Pete Hamill - I really loved this book, 95% of the way through, then a terrible cop out of a fantasy ending, just ruined it for me

The only other book I read by his was Forever, which sort of became the concept for a movie and a TV series, but not really. Intersting read

Anyway, what books cheated on you? Your own definition.

Another one: a Casual Vacancy (by J.K. Rowling) – when I got to the ending, I thought it was so cheap I threw the book across the room.

This is one of the downsides of e-books. I can’t abuse the book the way it abused me.

1 Like

The Dark Tower Series, which is 7 books and goes 3 books too long. I started it when I was young and foolish, and really liked how it just opened into one mystery after another.

Until it suddenly stopped, and author vaguely attempted to tie everything together with a perfectly dumb meta-explanation, and ended with an apology for his crappy ending.

His dark materials

What a GREAT start, and what a disappointing ending.

1 Like

“The Murder of Roger Ackroyd” by Agatha Christie.

But it’s a good cheat, imo
“The Silent Patient” was an interesting cheat.

I thought “Where The Crawdads Sing” was a cheat, not as a good of one.

“Us Against You” was a great read – the author has a way to tease every chapter ending to keep you reading – until the end. You know those superhero movies where in the end the hero has some superpower he/she/it didn’t know existed and voila! “problem solved”? In this book, the author finds his superpower, “Oh, I can write anything in order to end this book? Voila!”

Interesting, that has been recommended to me

:iatp:

I recommend borrowing it from someone.

I don’t buy books new. Garage sales, take one leave one, etc

I rarely buy books. Most everything I read is via the library.

The Great Gatsby

Forced to read it. Thought it was gonna be good because I was forced to read it. Turns out it’s even more boring than I could have ever imagined it.

I understood it better as an adult, but didn’t like it much. It’s technically well written. But it’s about a bunch of unpleasant people that i don’t have much in common with.

Same! I thought I was the only one who hated it. It was a popular book club book and everyone was raving about it. Looked at me like I stabbed a puppy when I said I didn’t like it. :joy:

Even when I didn’t pay for a book with money, if I spent the time reading it, I paid attention.

So I can still feel cheated.

I didn’t actually feel cheated by War & Peace, I just wanted every character except for Pierre to die. It was my own fault for not checking that the bit where Napoleon invades Russia wasn’t til almost the end.

I read the frickin book because of this damn chart:

Yes that’s the real reason I read the book. I will never read it again.

They made us read mainly crap in high school. What’s up with that shit?

Okay, it was the good end of crap (after all, we weren’t reading Danielle Steele), but holy hell I’ve hated so many books because I was forced to read them as a teen.

The only things I enjoyed in high school I was forced to read in literature classes:

• the Odyssey
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • Shakespeare
  • Poe
  • Dante
  • poetry in general

The one author I finally gave a fair shake when I got older:

• Dickens

(I did not like Dickens when I was in K-12, except for A Christmas Carol - the original text, not adaptations of various movie versions)

Maybe when I’m 70 or something I can attempt some of the authors again, like Hemingway or Hawthorne (ugh) or Henry James (BLECH). Or maybe I’ll learn to read Dante in the original.

Sorry, William Golding, I plan on never reading Lord of the Flies again.

And let us not speak of Catcher in the Rye.
What the hell was that shit? I’d rather read Faulkner again.

I was just responding to dtnf, to borrow it

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Series not only went on for too long, but I thought the ending was a cop-out and stupid.

Another book that I hated was “The Da Vinci Code”. I found it about as compelling as a Scooby Doo episode.

I also get irritated when Leonardo is referred to as Da Vinci. That’s not his name!!! If you’re referencing him in the title of a book - respect the genius - and know his name!!! :angry:

I thought Catcher was okay. Not “everyone must read this” okay. Just ordinary okay. It’s different, at least.

Same. I thought Catcher was just okay.
I liked a few of his “9 Short Stories” better.