Happy Thoughts

Video of the goal: https://twitter.com/MLS/status/1498054456142872576?t=41fUYfk4lTO_RvhL9EFzmA&s=19

2 Likes

It also depends on how thick the sap is before you start. It can be anywhere from around 25:1 to around 120:1 depending on conditions.

But 40:1 is about average. You know you’re done when you get the correct viscosity on a hydrometer. (Or there are other ways of measuring, but hydrometer is the one I’m familiar with.)

I have a hydrometer but this time I tried just going to 104 degrees. I think it is a bit runny.
The old school guys can drop it off the back of a spoon but my results doing that were abysmal.
A hydrometer is a pita when you’ve only got a liter. Works well if you’re doing a gallon.

1 Like

I think you can just measure the weight & volume and calculate it that way… maybe that’s a more actuarial approach (something something demonstrations for impressions…)

I doubt the sediment has a material impact.

The unit on photosynthsis that I just taught my 7th graders centered around maple syrup (how did the sugar get into the tree?).

We started the unit by having them taste some real maple syrup. Most of them really didn’t like how it tasted. I liked it well enough (I don’t think I’d ever tried it before).

1 Like

When I was a kid I didn’t care for it (give me that smooth maple flavored corn syrup). , but now that I’m older I think it’s great and is what I usually use

I grew up with maple syrup, which i like. Artificial maple flavor always tastes a little like plastic to me.

2 Likes

I like the viscosity of the fake stuff.

What’s your opinion of thermal breakdown?

1 Like

Okay, so every time I saw this commercial growing up, I thought that Castrol was protecting against 2 separate things:

1. Viscocity
  2. Thermal breakdown.

now that I’m a bit older and have taken physics courses, I had the :man_facepalming: moment today that they probably meant that Castrol is protecting against 2 related things:

1. Viscocity breakdown
  2. Thermal breakdown

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Had all my annual labs done and they were all good except cholesterol. Maybe I should eat fewer Sonic breakfast burritos. Or exercise more.

But mostly I’m happy bc my A1C was down and I can avoid type 2 diabetes for another year. (Both parents and 1 sibling have it.)

8 Likes

1 Like

Could be interpreted more than one way. Approve anyway.

Which means it’s almost scooter weather!

3 Likes

I’m planning on taking mine out later today, it’s 52° and will hit 60° in a few hours.

2 Likes

I thought briefly about a scooter, but think I would prefer an electric bike. When we cut down to one car I’ll probably get one then (that won’t happen for at least a year, possibly a lot longer)

Is A1C something where you want to be in the normal range, or something where lower is probably better within that range, or even a bit below it? My A1C is a bit high within that normal range, and I wonder if I should be concerned.

(My hematocrit is also a bit high within the normal range, but I am not concerned.)

Everyone complaining about gas prices and I’m sitting here with a (mostly) electric car and a scooter that gets 97mpg. :popcorn:

3 Likes

For me I wanted to be below pre-diabetes. Pre-diabetes is sort of a made up diagnosis. It’s a point where many docs will push meds “to prevent diabetes” but I’m unclear on how well those meds work for prevention. Type 2 diabetes is strong in my family, and I’m not ready to go there, although I probably can’t prevent it totally.

Yes, people will tell me I can prevent diabetes with diet & exercise, but I know thin people who have it. And diets just make me obsess about food and want the things I “can’t have”. My A1C is actually lower even though I gained a few pounds.

Mine is 5.3, which seems higher than it has been… I should look at the trend and see if it’s something to worry about.

(I’m fat. Nearly obese. But there isn’t any diabetes in my family.)