Happy Thoughts

Spent the weekend on my son’s laptop. Successfully recovered his masters thesis that he’s weeks away from defending.
He’s taken over my laptop with all his data on our cloud server like it should be (backups, offsite, etc). So he’ll never have a problem again.
And, looks like I’m going for another laptop for myself.

5 Likes

Maybe. Tortoises mate before laying eggs, but it looks like the female can lay unfertilized eggs. It’s only a once a year thing though, and if she’s good at hiding them…

1 Like

Your gf giving out the (in?)significant signals at sbux now, eh? :wink:

1 Like

Me in front of woodstove after supper: well, it’s almost 7 o’clock. What time do you folks hit the hay around here?

I love a good wood fire!!! It’s very soothing to watch and so warming!!

I agree. This is where it should have been posted originally. I’ll cross post to annoyed thoughts if the sausage is no good.

2 Likes

Figured out a hack to skip YouTube ads even before the 5-second skip minimum.

When the video you want comes on and is doing the pre-show ads, just click another video, then click [back] immediately. No more ad!

5 Likes

Heard from an old college friend today.

3 Likes

Met my old lover on the street last night
she seemed so glad to see me, I just smiled
but we talked about the old times, and drank ourselves some beers
still crazy after all these years.
woah! still crazy after all these years

My friend’s surgery went well. His wife also thanked me for being a regular blood donor. He didn’t need blood during surgery, but they had some matched and reserved for him just in case, and she was grateful for people who donate blood.

6 Likes

I’m scheduled off at 2 today. I don’t know if I will be able to get out of my driveway to fulfill the plans I had for this afternoon, but I’m feeling hopeful.

this is a happy thought mixed with a sad thought.

went to my uncle’s funeral today. almost everyone from my father’s side of the family was there. I hadn’t seen any of these people in 14 years. it would have been an awesome family reunion if not for the fact that it was a funeral.

i had been saying for a while that we really need to get together with my cousins, particularly on my father’s side of the family where we don’t live all that far from each other and one of my cousin’s and his wife lives in manhattan, so we have no real excuse there. we are just awful at that whole getting together thing and just see each other on facebook. i kept saying to myself we need to get together before it’s for a funeral. well that never happened and it wound up being for a funeral. talking about my uncle there and he was a really sweet awesome person, who i hadn’t seen in years because we suck so much at getting together. i last saw him on his 80th birthday as well as my cousins and he just died at 94.

so we end it saying we need to hang out more, but yeah, who knows if we really will.

Yeah, it’s hard to plan stuff like that which is why we tend to see people at weddings & funerals. It sucks, but it’s also normal.

I recall as a kid my Dad’s extended family had weddings in the summers of 1985, 1986, and 1987, but then it looked like no one would be getting married for a while. So at the 1987 wedding reception we planned on having a plain old family reunion in 1988 so we could keep seeing each other regularly. And it did actually happen.

We vowed it would be an annual thing every year there was no wedding.

1988 was the first, last, and only year of the twig extended family reunion. There’s been a smattering of weddings and funerals, of course. But no more reunions in non-wedding years.

My cousin and his wife who live in Manhattan are really cool people. We should be friends. kinda like planning things with any other friends.

As a kid I thought of him as way older than me. He’s 9 years older than me. He is the youngest of his siblings so the closest in age to me. Now, doesn’t feel like much of an age difference at all. We weren’t all that close growing up likely due to our parents not making the effort. So that extended to us not making the effort because that was the norm. We should though.

Sort of similar situation on my mother’s side of the family, but those cousins are way younger than me and in their early 20’s and they moved away from New York for most of their childhood. One recently moved back and she’s now 23. We recently met her as an adult after not seeing her since she was like 6. It’s weird thinking ya, you’re my 1st cousin, but we barely seem related. We talked about our grandparents who she never met because she was born after they died. That was fun.

I think the cousins probably make more of an effort when the grandparents are alive, but there was no overlap there on my mothers side of the family. I knew my grandparents well, but my cousins were born too late. I only had a grandmother for the first 9 months of my life on my father’s side whereas my cousins on that side knew them because they were older.

1 Like

The in-law family gets together every 2 years. Every year feels like too often, so people wouldn’t come. And they know that if they miss the every other year meeting, it’ll be a total of 4 years between seeing everyone, so they work harder to make it happen.

We were supposed to get together in 2020, but that obviously didn’t happen. Should be a good group this year.

1 Like

My moms family has a big multiple day reunion every year, but I’m the only person in the family that lives outside of Utah, so it’s pretty easy.

I haven’t seen much of my dads side in a long time. If we go up to his home town for the 4th of July we see some of them.

I went to dinner with my two daughters and we’re gonna try to do this monthly.

3 Likes

10 gallons of sap. Boil. Voila.

7 Likes

Today was the first match of the new soccer season here (MLS). A kid that grew up in the neighborhood where I live was a late substitute and managed to score the game clinching goal. To do that as a 17yo in your first big league appearance in front of 60k+ home fans is an experience he’ll never forget.

3 Likes

IIRC from the field trip I went to on how syrup is made, it’s about a 40:1 ratio, eh? So you have about a litre of Canadian gold in that jar?