Happy Thoughts

We didn’t end up going. Not enough time. We had to bail a night early. It was going down to -18C last night, and some of the students weren’t prepared/equipped for that level of cold.

Interesting weekend. One of the students who came with is doing a double term coop at a venture capital firm. We are going to have a meeting, and if it pans out he’ll introduce me to the management at the firm. He was excited about what im doing online, he thinks it has top tier potential in the startup world.

It means nothing yet, but its exciting due to potential. He did say that the venture capital folks dont talk to anybody without an introduction…which i now have just because i took some randos camping and made them some chicken wings.

Cool, because im no expert at this startup stuff. He uses terms like ‘pre-seed stage’, whereas i just say ‘yeah, we dont really make any money’.

4 Likes

Our driveway gates broke. Looks like it was just a dead battery, yay.

1 Like

The dude posing with an axe when all the wood has been cut by chainsaw amuses me

Heh… I didn’t notice that. Might he have been using an axe to split the larger logs though?

Despite computer issues at home (which hopefully won’t be too much longer :sweat: , we’re still able to kick off the 2023 RPS Tournament!

2 Likes

My shower door is being installed this afternoon!

I normally DIY these but a local shop gave me a fair quote. And I went all out and got the 1/2” glass, it’s gonna be fancy.

1 Like

My furnace works again…fortunately, it only got down to about 62-64 in the house, but it was annoying at the time. It was short cycling while wearing spandex…which was really gross 'cuz you could see all its nuts & bolts. Forcing it to wear some proper clothing & also clearing the snow drift that had accumulated at the exterior exhaust vent fixed it up good & proper.

1 Like

I feel so freaking HAPPY, it’s starting to freak me out. I’m also feeling incredibly motivated and creative. I made a sculpture, pieced two quilts, and came up with a rough outline of the story I’ll be writing for the SOA speculative fiction contest, all within the last week. And I keep wanting to do more.

Maybe being an actuary is draining the joy out of my life. No offense to the career, I think all jobs would do that. But maybe if I wasn’t so bogged down by stress I could actually be a creative person.

5 Likes

I feel the same, but I don’t think work is the primary source of my stress. I need to figure out how to carve out some regular time for creativity in my life.

1 Like

Nope. Find something that you like doing and pays well. Then do that.
The problem IMO is that most people find a career, park into a job, then sit there for 35 years. That’s motivation killing. Gotta pack your bags every once in a while when things get stale.

I love my job. I loved my last job too until I didn’t, at which point I started doing what I’m doing now. And before that I was doing actuarial work which I really liked until I didn’t.

I have, and I do. The whole “love what you do and you’ll never work a day in your life” mantra is bullshit for so many people, me included. I love quilting, but if I had to quilt to earn a living, I would soon resent it.

I love the work I do, but it is still work, and there is nothing, literally nothing, I would want to do 40+ hours a week or else lose my entire livelihood. Some people are happy doing nothing productive.

2 Likes

I would say like, not love, but yeah. The one thing I would love to do for 40 hours a week is read books and talk about books. But other people are better at that than I am. I might do that in retirement though.

1 Like

yup.

also the time to take those big risks for something you love sometimes doesn’t line up with life events too. I had a stay at home spouse and a child when i was entry level. i am glad I like my job and pretty much have liked all of them. but love the jobs…is a stretch. the stuff i enjoy a lot isn’t something i can make a career out of at my age unless i want to get paid peanuts for somewhere between many years and forever.

2 Likes

The shower I had at our last house was 32"x40", and it was workable but I wanted a little more elbow room. It took me a lot of planning to squeeze a 35"x40" into the new bathroom. The extra 3" of width is a real game changer, it’s still not a huge shower but for a century home it’s about as good as it gets.

3 Likes

We have to take trainings for fostering, 45 hours minimum every two years (used to be 60). Since we started, it was $10 per hour, so each month’s training session would get us $60. We used to have to find a sitter, and if not pay them (it was family, so payment not expected) then at least buy a pizza for dinner, so we would only net maybe $20. Not that we do it for the money, but it’s nice to get a little extra cash for the inconvenience. For the last three years, they’ve been virtual, so that was nice.

They must have increased the rates, because January’s training checks just arrived, and we got $90. $15/hr to sit on a zoom call and multitask isn’t bad!

1 Like

Is your century home certified, or are you using the term more loosely to mean your house is over a hundred years old?

The official records for our home on our auditor’s website say our home was built in 1925. But I pulled up the official historical parcel sheet, and it was actually built in 1919, and completed not later than 1920 (had residents), so I can start calling mine a century home also now!

1 Like

I don’t know who might certify it, and yes, records for many old homes are questionable.

In my case, I have the abstract that documents the history of the land (going back to the mid 1800s iirc), and when the house was built. Mine was built in 1912, I think it was finished in August. So I’m quite sure mine is about to turn 111 years old. I’ve not been able to find a Sanborn fire map of my block, need to make a trip to the library and historical museum some time to see if they know anything.

It was built by George Esterly, who was a dentist. His dental office was a mile north, the building is still there and it’s currently an Italian restaurant.

Fun fact, my house was built with clipped nails, which would generally make me think it’s older. By 1912 wire nails were probably used in 80-90% of construction. It’s also one of not very many stucco homes in the city. Not what I’d call rare but maybe 2-4% of homes are stucco here.

2 Likes

Was your home purchased from a catalog? Ours was, but I’ve noticed that in our neighborhood, there are only 2 other homes that look like ours, not sure why it’s less common than others. Comparatively, there are 5 or 6 homes that are the same as all our neighbors’ homes, on our street alone!

Wait, do you have a Sears home???

Ours was not from a catalog, though we do have some of those in town. My neighborhood is a mixed bag. Craftsman, Dutch colonial revival, Italianate, Queen Anne, foursquare, we have it all.

1 Like