Gun Violence in America

registers too low for “thoughts and prayers” too.

We’re higher than Somalia, holy ####

2 Likes

Yes, although it would be interesting to see side-by-side with “violent deaths”.

I assume that “violent gun deaths” as a percent of “violent deaths” is a lot higher for us given the prevalence of guns. So if it were “violent deaths” rather than “violent gun deaths” I expect we’d still look pretty bad, but maybe not quite as bad.

What is this supposed to mean? It’s simply gun deaths per 100,000 people

Lol. So… we should get rid of guns?

Or more gun deaths is … ok?

I suppose you just mean that more gun deaths is just to be expected? Ho hum.

1 Like

My local.bews just showed a segment ln how to stop bleeding in a bictom of, say, a gonshot wound. This just after a story AT the Monterey Park vigil.

I don’t understand your question. Was your question directed at me? I thought my post was clear. Not all violent deaths are gun deaths.

(I assume all gun deaths are violent gun deaths as I have no idea what a non-violent gun death would look like. Assisted suicide maybe???)

No, neither.

Close. It just seems weird and a little dishonest to be stripping out other violent deaths as if they don’t matter in an international comparison like that.

If we were looking at how we should be reducing murders in the United States then breaking them down by murder weapon would absolutely make sense (or suicides or accidental deaths by method).

But if we’re making statements like “the US is worse than Somalia” then it seems dishonest to look at only a subset of murders and suicides. I certainly don’t think we can conclude that the US is more dangerous than Somalia from that, for example.

I think you’d need to define what “violent death” is or isn’t.

I’d think “accident while cleaning a gun” might count as a non-violent gun death, for at least some values of “non-violent”.

2 Likes

True.

Got it you are proud that violent gun deaths in America are on par with Somolia but even happier that the rate of violent deaths from other means is probably higher in Somolia.

1 Like

it’s a way of twisting the narrative

2 Likes

Uh, no, not even close. It seems like you’re deliberately trying to misrepresent what I’m saying.

Well this is the Gun Violence in America thread. If you want to start a knife violence in America v other countries by all mean knock yourself out.

If you don’t like Somalia then how about we look at the UK where it’s 0.004 per 100,000. Or maybe our Canadian friend north of the border where they have a lot more guns per capita than the UK and death rate of 0.47 per 100,000. I don’t know maybe 3.96 per 100,000 seems normal.

It’s sad they US closest comp on violent deaths from Guns is Sub-Saharan Africa. Go USA! God Bless the NRA! Stick it to the libs! Take this gun from my cold dead hands! Oh that last one seems to happen in the USA a lot more than other similar industrialized countries too.

So maybe you can be a little clear on you point on gun violence unless your point is deflect from gun violence y making it a discussion of all violence of which guns are a subset.

1 Like

I think we’re lower than Russia in defenestration deaths.

2 Likes

My point is that the statistic presented is misleading. I also pointed out that even with a non-misleading statistic we would still be pretty bad compared to other countries.

I don’t know how you twisted that into me celebrating violent deaths … that’s a pretty sick and twisted interpretation of what I wrote.

Yeah, too bad the linked article doesn’t do that. Perhaps someone will dig into the link to the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation and tell us. Not me, I’m too lazy.

1 Like

We’re terrible against countries that do a good job.

We’re bad compared to the middle east, asia.

We’re on par with sub-saharan africa

We do really good when compared to central and south america.

I’m not sure how any of that was misleading in the article or how the fact that Samolia is the closest to us in deaths per 100,000 is misleading.

There is also a note at the bottom of the article which throws out some of your objections.#### Notes
All charts exclude deaths in armed conflict and from accidents or self-harm.

1 Like

The fact that this is what you wrote illustrates that it’s misleading because as stated, this is almost certainly not true. It’s hard to find good data on Somalia (they’re not listed in the UNDOC which is Wikipedia’s source for rate of intentional homicide) but here’s a source that shows that Somalia’s intentional homicide rate is significantly higher than the United States. I didn’t check other violent crimes, but I suspect it’s similar.

Guns happen to be the weapon of choice in the US due to availability and culture. And yes, we suck compared to other developed nations. But I don’t see the value in only looking at violent gun deaths by country rather than total violent deaths unless you’re deliberately trying to make the US look worse than we are.

If someone kills your loved one with a gun vs a knife… they’re equally dead. It’s equally tragic.

So stripping out non-gun deaths seems designed to mislead IMO.

It would be like ranking states by crack cocaine usage and drawing conclusions about overall use of hard drugs in the state. Not really a fair ranking if you’re trying to show how bad the drug problem is in each state.

Back to the 6 year old