Green Tea

:face_vomiting:
Do you still have the same number of children?

:laughing::laughing::laughing: :shushing_face:

I currently have six different matchas (all from ippodotea.com). I have a couple senchas, gyokuros, a bancha, an iribancha (lightly smoked green tea) and a couple genmaichas. For non-green tea, I have a pu’erh, lapsang souchong (smoked black tea), mugicha (barley tea)

Current coffee/tea station in the kitchen:

1 Like

What are those looping-wire-things hanging on the wall?
Does that radio get both AM and FM?

Dunno. Wife’s mother likes to collect weird things from auctions sometimes and sometimes my wife hangs them up on the wall.

I don’t think the radio’s been touched in a decade…

1 Like

Hey! I have the same teapot. (the black cast iron number in the center of the photo.)

Hmm, I see I’ve already shared my tea preferences above…

Try using slightly cooler water. Most green teas do best at 160-190 F. Many say on the bag what temp to use. Also, you may be brewing for too long. 3-6 minutes is usually recommended, depending on the tea.

I, uh, also have a rather similar radio somewhere around here. I used to use it in my office … a long time ago. I listened to the news of the WTC collapse on that radio. I haven’t used it in a decade, either.

1 Like

Yup, re: temperature, a good tea kettle is helpful. Ours has settings for different temperatures from 160 degrees to boiling (there are niftier ones out there with more precision on temperature, but my wife prefers easy to use).

I generally use 160 and 175 settings more often than 200 and boiling.

I use a higher temp, but I have black tea in the pot, too, and it’s a compromise. I got one of those nifty electric kettles that lets you set a precise temp, and it’s been awesome for tea.

Yeah, I drink green tea over 90% of the time. I do use 200+ when brewing black tea, though.