Global Warming

The exciting news is breaking new heat records every year!

But the boring news is no more cold records ever again. :frowning:

I wish it was as cool as 2020

Summer 2020 was a lot nicer than this crap we have had so far this year.

I would have expected the left side to have a similar number of hot and cold records.

The data in the graph is limited to those 70 years.

Presumably, the blue and red lines each add up to 1.

Ah, that makes sense.

The bottom line is that it’s all extremely random, but generally rising on average. So the primary strategies are to diversify and “buy-and-hold”, as they say.

(Oh wait, wrong thread.)

Did we avert an oncoming global ice age and turn our planet into the next Venus?

Probably not. We just made the world marginally shittier for the next few generations.

It’s like COVID. COVID is hardly the end of the world, but it will make things marginally shittier for decades.

You’re probably right. There’s no history of global ice ages followed by periods of warming on this planet.

There’s no such thing as an “ice age” happening in a few decades.

Haven’t you seen “The Day After Tomorrow”? That happened over a weekend…

:wink:

Here's a good history of ice ages and periods of warming on this planet.

xkcd: Earth Temperature Timeline

2 Likes

Well, the last 22,000 years’ worth…

Sure, it’s also 6 years out of date. Now we’re a bit farther down the current path. (At around +1.2)

That’s only since the last ice age (ignoring the “Little Ice Age” around 1650). Do you have a similar history between the other major ice ages? And based on that link and your graph, it does seem to confirm my conjecture that humans averted an ice age and created the next Venus.

That’s only since the last ice age (ignoring the “Little Ice Age” around 1650). Do you have a similar history between the other major ice ages? And based on that link and your graph, it does seem to confirm my conjecture that humans averted an ice age and created the next Venus.

There’s plenty of charts that show between ice-ages, but none of them fit on a meaningful scale because they’re 100,000 of years long.

Saying we “averted an ice age” is silly because ice ages are too slow to mean anything at all. It’s absolutely silly.

Comparing us to Venus is also silly. Venus’ atmosphere is a lot worse than ours will ever be. We might very well make things unbearably hot, like 130 degree summers, but we’re not going to have 800 degree summers.

It’s like if you went out and bought $70,000 car. And then said to your wife “I averted spending 10 cents and instead spent $1 trillion”. Neither of those statements makes sense.

What about 2 days before the day after tomorrow.

Wait a minute … that’s today !

1 Like

brothers and sisters I have none, but this man’s father is my father’s son