Gift for anniversary party?

I’m a human, not a goldfish. Humans recognize their emotional response to people. It’s acceptable to hold people accountable. It’s irresponsible to set zero boundaries in your relationships.

1 Like

The purpose of keeping score is to establish superiority in a relationship. The purpose of setting boundaries is to promote everyone’s best interests. Both require an awareness of the facts, but that’s where the similarities end.

2 Likes

Big difference between “I’ve given them a gift nearly every year for a while now, but I’ve not received anything” and “I’ve given them X gifts so far but they’ve only given me Y < X”.

“Keeping score” generally connotes the latter phrase. “Awareness of the facts” incorporates the former.

1 Like

They both seem to be “keeping score.”
You can try to redefine the term to your likeness (in this case, “keeping score” to you is a negative connotation), but scores are being kept, because how would you know about the difference between X and 0 (in the former) if you were not keeping score? Even if it is mentally easy to do, it’s still “keeping score” in my mental book.
We should all agree that scores should not be kept when giving gifts because you want to give gifts.
Obligations are a different story. All together. And, it seems to me that when it is an obligation, scores are more rigorously kept to make sure the game is “fair.”
Short version and suggestion on how to live life to ease it: don’t have obligations to give gifts.

Nah I have 3 sisters.

Lord help the mister.

1 Like

Truth