GH-Specialty Fall 2021

PASSED

1 Like

No pass for me :sob:

privacy… so my friends wont know im an idiot for a few more days. I wish I never took the first FSA exam. this process is fucking stupid.

2 Likes

No pass. My understanding is I need to pass this next time or I’ll have to take PA. I’m going to read the source material for sure, time to get serious.

1 Like

No pass. Time for attempt #3.

1 Like

Passed. Phew!

1 Like

Passed. Done with everything! Hope to see you all in Toronto! Back to the beach for me!

2 Likes

More to make sure you find out your results, or have sufficient chance to, before your friends find out your results.

That’s my understanding too. All I could find on the SOA website was this FAQ, which says that you have to have your FSA by 1/1/23 to avoid the PA exam.

Congrats to everyone who passed! I counted 105 candidate numbers, so not a large group.

Now I have to decide if I can balance work and studying for the spring - May 13th is such a bad time for me work-wise, but it’s killing me to only sit for this exam in the fall (I sat Fall 2020 and Fall 2021).

1 Like

Just keep taking it!! It’s < $500. Even if you won’t improve your knowledge but just maintain it. There’s so much variance in the material that gets tested. You don’t want the next exam be to your strengths and then kick yourself that you skipped that sitting.

The more time passes, the more the syllabus may change.

If you take time off, that’s that much more effort it’ll take to re-learn whatever you forgot.

1 Like

Have you done DMAC yet? I’m wondering if I should just knock it out this month.

I haven’t, but I’ve done all the modules. At this point work won’t pay for anything, so I’m waiting to do DMAC until I’ve passed this exam. And I don’t want to pass DMAC and then take too long to pass Specialty and have to do DMAC again.

1 Like

I used MATE for all the FSA exams. [not controversial]

My more controversial additional advice is to read the source material, and go through a lot of past exams [in addition to whatever problems MATE provides]. I also made my own notes.

1 Like

I didn’t pass. I kinda hope I did worse than a 5 so it didn’t come down to not seeing I missed part of a question until there were <2 minutes (3 points worth).

Think I’ll be able to get this eventually when devoting more study hours to it.

1 Like

PA is not that bad! It’s really an exam on written communication and time management. By now excellent study material is also available.

Pass rate is way over 60% and most critically the vast majority of people you’ll be competing against if you have to take PA have not taken a single FSA exam. Some/ [maybe many soon?] will not have even taken MLC/ LTAM since the requirement for that exam is getting softer with the new curriculum changes…

So you’ll be competing with candidates that have mostly only done multiple choice and they’re being tested on being able to put together coherent free response solutions for the first time in a high pressure setting.

1 Like

It’s just one more hoop though. I’ve jumped through so many hoops already…

So since the syllabus changed a bit should I buy new MATE materials??? I know it didn’t change that much but TIA says they added five new readings and I know they love to test small parts of the syllabus.

Up to you! If I had failed I was going to get the study note revision.

Anyone know if new study note GHS-131-22: ERM – Health Risk Controls is available on the internet anywhere? Haven’t been able to track it down.