Gen Z is lying to us

This isn’t strictly a P&C thing, but I didn’t see a place to put a meta-insurance topic.

Of course, Gen Z might have more of a motivation, given the top reason given for justifying such deception:

in the Reddit post where I was made aware of the above bit of click-bait, someone appropriately commented:

Just go on reddit accounting and it seems like the people there overwhelmingly support lying on their resumes.

And these are people with CPAs that have their own code of conduct.

1 Like

Define “lying on CVs”

Exaggerating skills is one thing, but lying on jobs and education is very much another one (far more serious).

Using the word “exaggerate” is the kind of mental gymnastics that liars use to convince themselves that they aren’t lying.

1 Like

I used to read antiwork (because I agree with much of the sentiment, if not the execution), and it got to be too exhausting. There’s a mentality of “sticking it” to “the man” and the thought that “the man” in that situation might be a person like me who is hiring someone and investing time in onboarding them only to discover they lied about their basic skills doesn’t even cross their minds.

It’s hard to live in a world where you play by the rules and others don’t. It would be one thing if the people who cheat to get ahead had no impact on others, but they do - through higher costs by absorbing fraudulent claims or the need to suss them out, through additional resources spent on vetting and training new employees who got the job over another person who was a better fit, among many others.

Despite the self-reported data here, I’m not convinced millennials are any better, my generation has always been full of people who will disregard ethics and decency to get ahead.

1 Like

Hey insurance company my car actually has 25k miles and not 100k miles that’s not lying I’m just embellishing.

1 Like

I disagree.

The “fake it till you make it” culture promotes this mentality.

I think you need to take a step back a bit.

I read /antiwork as well (I find it interesting), and the vast majority of the posters are lower income.

Your “views” about their posts are likely heavily influenced by your more comfortable existence (in terms of income).

I don’t think being low income justifies wage theft or other fraud, especially with a lackadaisical mindset about the ethics of it.

Not sure why my views are in quotations though.

This is a weird comparison.

These are “easily checked things” as you can look at the odometer in a car (this is a cheap thing to do).

Employment skills are far more of a grey area at first unless you check their proficiency (not a cheap thing to do).

When it comes to CVs, I have found people exaggerate their skills to a certain extent to get through the door, and then either get “found out” (and possibly fired), or rely on the employer to teach them.

I don’t mark people down too much because of this issue primarily because job specs are getting a bit ridiculous in recent years vs the pay they are offering.

I think “Trump” here.