FTX disaster

A little off-topic, but still related: Anyone making predictions for Elizabeth Holmes’ sentencing today?

A woman who defrauded rich dudes? She’s screwed.

2 Likes

I remember, once, asking what it took to fire an auditor for being too stupid.

I mean, I don’t quite understand how this is supposed to work. Some of these people just suck at what they do. But the interests aren’t exactly aligned.

1 Like

SBF is gonna hit the over on 11 years easily

1 Like

I figured it had to have been at least as much as Shkreli got due to the magnitude of her crimes.

I was disappointed that part of her sentence didn’t require her to speak in her normal voice.

4 Likes

if SBF does not take a plea and is found guilty, no way he is below 11 yrs.

How was Sonny worse than Elizabeth?

1 Like

Holmes was convicted of defrauding investors of ~$121M?

For SBF I am betting the “over” on that amount.

More money, but didn’t Theranos give out some bogus lab results? That’s a special kind of bad, imo.

1 Like

sure that’s bad.

but she was convicted of defrauding investors (of money) and the measure for sentencing is a formula relating to amount they lost. the amounts for FTX/SBF are much larger.

I didn’t read much on her sentence, was it just fraud or did she get something for… what is basically malpractice, for lack of a better word?

1 Like

per wiki:

On January 3, 2022, Holmes was found guilty on four counts of defrauding investors – three counts of wire fraud, and one of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. She was found not guilty on four counts of defrauding patients – three counts of wire fraud and one of conspiracy to commit wire fraud. The jury returned a “no verdict” on three counts of wire fraud against investors – the judge declared a mistrial on those counts and the government soon after agreed to dismiss them

based on what I’ve read, sentencing actually does consider other behavior (including stuff on which the defendant may have been acquitted, like here - ignore for a moment how wrong that seems). so that could have been an aggravating circumstance that informed the judge. but the max was 20yrs and she got a little more than 11. anyway, i don’t think the patient-related stuff had much to do w the sentence length here.

1 Like

Does Canada have pension actuaries?

2 Likes

also:

1 Like

Every crypto currency is a ponzi scheme that will one day collapse.

True story.

Also, end of story.

4 Likes

Fun listening to my crypto hawk friend tell my other friend who works for American Express about how blockchain technology and tokens are revolutionizing financial transactions. If you know the volume that American Express, Visa, or Mastercard handle verses what any blockchain can handle and you also know what the costs are related to either you know that crypto is like going back to the good old days of calling Visa and talking to an operator to get a charge approved.

2 Likes

Sequel to the story.

Crypto is terrible for the environment, as millions of PCs waste gobs of electricity by searching for coins that they will never find.

Also, I think that it is possible that some whiz kid has decrypted SHA-256, and the collapse of bitcoin is related to that whiz kid’s flooding the market with his pseudo-counterfeit bitcoins.

End of sequel.

4 Likes

as Mr Wonderful says, because crypto will no doubt be the future, the demand for energy will likely help guide humans towards untapped energy/clean energy sources.

it’s a win-win

I have always thought also it is very counterintuitive to say “I like crypto because I don’t trust the government”. So you trust some person on the internet who answers to no one? That makes a lot of sense.

3 Likes