For those who are/were COVID positive what are your vaccine plans?

I tested positive for COVID at the beginning of the year. I’m not yet past the 90 day after recovery period that I have heard you should wait before getting the vaccine.

I’m wondering what others who have had COVID are planning with respect to getting vaccinated.

I’d be interested in others thoughts and opinions as well.

Should I get vaccinated as soon as my 90 days is up or should I wait longer?

I thought I read that it was only a 14 day recommended waiting period, as long as you did not get certain treatments.

Where did you see 90 days?
I have some coworkers that are concerned too.

I just happened to see this headline on my iphone news today:

It’s a video. I didn’t watch it. I just read the caption and found it promising/interesting/worthy-of-sharing.

1 Like

I don’t know where I saw 90 days but my wife was told that when her work was vaccinating everyone. But I just googled and the WHO says you might want to wait 6 months though that is based on availability, probably to give those with no immunity first choice.

People who have or had COVID-19 already

Vaccination can be offered to people who have had COVID-19 in the past.

But given the limited vaccine supply, individuals may wish to defer their own COVID-19 vaccination for up to 6 months from the time of SARS-CoV-2 infection. As more data becomes available on duration of immunity after infection, this time period may be adjusted.

Testing for prior infection is not recommended for the purpose of vaccine decision-making.

BTW, those at Mrs. 321’s work who are vaccinated can enter the side door and bypass the temperature check and questioning, while those not vaccinated, including her who they refused to vaccinate because she had recently tested positive, have to go through those protocols.

1 Like

I got it the week of Thanksgiving, so a bit over 4 months ago. Now that my state is open to > 16 years old, I am planning on getting a shot once I can find an opening.

But because I already have had it, I am not obsessing too much over finding an appt. Once work calms down and I get home from a quick spring break trip I will work trying to secure a shot for greenwoman and me.

If I had never had caught it back in the winter I am sure I would have been one of those people calling and hanging out around pharmacies to try to get leftover end of day shots. And I would have been up all night when I first because eligible trying to get an appt when websites update.

1 Like

I got my 1st this month, about 6 months after my initial test. Other than this forum, everything I’ve read says to go ahead and get vaccinated when you can. That said, based on my family’s experience and things I have read, you might want to clear your schedule for a couple days after getting the vaccine. The side effects were brutal after the 1st dose. 2nd dose not quite as bad but at least a day and a half.

Ajsudies, were the side affects of the shot worse than then symptoms you experienced from the disease?

Yup.
I keep reading that first dose is brutal if you have some lingering antibodies from a prior covid 19 illness.

Second dose is the most brutal if you had no prior illness from it.

From Texas Health Director:
https://www.kiiitv.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/vaccine/not-sure-how-long-you-should-wait-to-get-the-vaccine-after-having-covid-19-heres-what-experts-say/503-b613f90c-a673-4ed5-85b7-10847d063398

Health Director Annette Rodriguez says waiting a week or two after you’ve recovered should be enough time.

“You’re already building up antibodies because you’re having a natural immunity effect because you have COVID-19 and so now you’re getting a vaccine that is trying to give you more antibodies to protect you and so you really just don’t want to put those together, you want to wait a reasonable time frame and feeling healthy and well before you do that,” said Rodriguez.

It’s different if you have had mono-clonal antibody treatment, experts then say you need to wait 3 months before you get the vaccine. As always make sure to consult your doctor before making these decisions.

1 Like

I’ve read that your can get vaccinated shortly after all symptoms subside, but also that you will likely have natural immunity for at least 3-6 months, and likely more. Check out the CDC for recommendations. But i wouldn’t stress about it in your situation.

My father tested positive the day before the pharmacists visited his nursing home to administer first doses.

He got his first dose when they returned four weeks later (one week after he was released from quarantine).

That being said, the thinking is that reinfection is almost unheard of within 90 days of contracting COVID. You might consider letting folks in greater need go ahead of you.

100% true. If you have prior infection, the first shot is going to be a doozy. Heard that from multiple people.

Perhaps, a little less than 100%…someone I know tested positive for COVID, had mild symptoms, eventually got both vaccination shots…both shots had the typical reactions as those reported by non-COVID-infected people.

n=1

About the same except no cough. Also it only lasted 2-1/2 days vs 2-1/2 weeks and there was no hospital stay. Mr aj lost his sense of smell again. (I never had that symptom.)

Yes I’m sure it’s not 100% but much more likely than for those who didn’t have Covid. I would plan for some downtime and if you don’t need it, great.

1 Like

That’s pretty bad!

My fathers reaction was also pretty bad, but only lasted a day. We were caught off guard by it because my parents got the vaccine very early and we didnt know that people who had covid previously react badly to the first dose and are better with the 2nd. We almost considered having him not get the 2nd dose because we were caught off guard. He got the 2nd dose though

1 Like

By me 90 days was recommended so that people with natural antibodies didn’t take appointments from those who needed them

I made my appointment 90 days out from my negative test, once I qualified to do so.
Qualifications have been lowered multiple times since and many of my friends have gotten appointments before me, have to say a bit resentful I didn’t go for sooner

1 Like

The CDC is finally saying that it’s okay for fully vaccinated people to fly, which prior to them saying it, I think people would have done it anyway. They were being too conservative in advising against it before.

Fully vaccinated people may travel, CDC says (msn.com)

Edit - I read this thread title wrong. Should have put this in the one about resuming life.

1 Like

Just signed up for Moderna next week (and mid-May) at a place 1 hour away.

1 Like

I now remember where I saw the 90 days. My governor suggested those who had tested positive wait until 90 after their positive test before signing up to let those who didn’t have any immunity get their shots first. This was at the beginning of the vaccinations.

Anyway, my wife is getting hers tomorrow because her work is pushing her to get it. I, on the other hand, will probably wait until June or July and possibly longer depending on how things look as far as studies on infection acquired immunity shows?