FBI Raid on Mar-a-Lago

The Democrats had “butter emails,” but now Republicans have “but his documents!”

I don’t remember anything about W’s e-mails until after Hillary’s became a big deal

1 Like

This thread is the first time I heard about W’s emails.

2 Likes

First time I’m hearing about W’s emails too.

1 Like

Apparently the trump people didn’t give all the stuff back. This the search warrant

I don’t even remember the W emails thing, and I remember several presidential records controversies among ex-presidents. In general I think there was once more political decorum so that media outlets weren’t blasting every potentially negative thing about, especially, US presidents. The seemingly unverifiable torn-up notes in the toilet story would have never seen the light of day 10 years ago IMO.

Even if you missed the W emails story the first time, it was discussed extensively on the AO when the Hillary email story broke.

1 Like

There are multiple accounts. And pictures. Nothing under oath though so you are free to suspend belief if you need to

1 Like

Yeah, I mean it’s possible that I heard about it at the time and then forgot. Peter Gibbons had been told about the new cover sheets on the TPS reports too.

But there’s also a critical mass of coverage beyond which we more or less cannot forget and HRC cleared that threshold whereas GWB did not.

People are saying he never even used that toilet. That restroom was only for the interns

1 Like

10 years ago would have been during Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign?

Yeah, this story would been the only story covered for a solid week by Fox News.

Or, are you saying no one would have cared if a republican president did it 10+ years ago?
You are probably correct about that.

Which people? Only the best people I assume.

Although it isn’t solid gold so I assume you are correct about trump not using it for standard toilet stuff

No, that’s down the hall. This was the viral book marketing restroom.

Wow, I don’t remember that (but then I don’t remember how deeply I read about Clinton’s). Makes Clinton’s decision sketchier to me (perhaps an element of if GWB WH can do it, so can I!). My prior rationale was she was so burned from scrutiny from the 93-01 years that in her zeal for secrecy she overstepped the separation of what could be private vs what are public records (and even some classified stuff by mistake).

1 Like

Mr. Trump was in New York at the time, as the resort is mostly dormant during the summer months. The FBI met U.S. Secret Service employees on Monday morning outside Mar-a-Lago to alert them they were executing the warrant. After the search, the federal agents hauled away roughly 10 more boxes, a person with knowledge of the operation said.

Me either, but I certainly didn’t read every thread. Especially back then.

Funny, I always just figured it was easier to have them on her own device rather than switching devices all the time.

Thinking about this some more, I think also by the time W’s issue was known he was term limited and so unpopular that, despite being the current POTUS, he was already something of a has-been. By mid-2007 the country was already mesmerized by the HRC v Obama primary. I think McCain was already a foregone conclusion on the GOP side, but the Democratic primary was very much not and the Dem primary was almost certainly going to determine the next POTUS: either the first black POTUS or the first female POTUS. So even though those stories about W existed… who was actually reading them?

The world was far more interested in the Dem primary.

Whereas by 2016 the HRC emails was one of the biggest political stories out there.

1 Like

Putting this here, as I don’t know if it’s connected to this raid or 1/6 and it’s not worth its own thread now

1 Like

The thing with Trump is he also has a long history of doing sketchy things and relying on lawyers to fix his problems. I’m not seeing anything from his presidency where he stopped being his own worst enemy. He almost certainly did something dumber than Clinton just based on Trump being Trump.

3 Likes

one day after is an odd phrase when talking about today