Favorite Holiday/Winter Music

Now that they did a version with Kevin Bacon, I’ve come to appreciate the non-Kevin Bacon version of Here It Is Christmas Time by Old 97s. I don’t like the Kevin Bacon version.

We were at a fancy lunch yesterday and there were carolers circulating and taking requests. They did a lovely rendition of Coventry Carol, which I’m not certain I had heard before.

1 Like

Coventry Carol is one of my favorite Christmas Carols. Reminds me that Jesus was controversial from the day he was born and is the fulfillment of all of the scriptures: even the ugly, hard-to-understand parts. A good arrangement performed well can seamlessly transition from anguish to rage back to anguish and be incredibly moving.

“A voice was heard in Ramah. Rachel is weeping for her children. She refuses to be comforted because they are no more.”
Jeremiah 31:15
Matthew 2:18

My choir just released a new single

1 Like

That’s very beautiful. Who arranged that?

Brent Wells. He used to be the conductor of our choir’s Idaho group. Now he’s one of the main choir directors at BYU.

1 Like

He arranged this too

We recorded two more, but they haven’t been finished and released yet.

Art Carney doing a Christmas rap in 1954?

2 Likes

Have a 40-song medley!

Happy 1st day of Christmas, y’all!

much better singers (and a different song):

1 Like

Love Christmas songs from all over the world… I love thinking about how people are celebrating in far-off places too. I sang that one many (MANY) years ago at May Festival’s Carolfest.

1 Like

A song I hadn’t heard in previous years, is Merry Christmas Darling. It’s sung by Christina Perri and has a retro folky sound - I thought it was a song from the 60s that I hadn’t heard before.

To me the quintessential version of Merry Christmas Darling is The Carpenters version. Karen Carpenter’s voice is just exquisite.

I’m not sure if they were the first to record it, but every other version of that song pales in comparison IMO.

2 Likes

I’ll have to listen to that one, thanks. No wonder it sounded retro.

1 Like

Yeah, late 70s I think. Maybe very early 80s.

I have a rockapella Christmas album and they do it. It’s not bad.