Fall 2023 Exam 8 Thread

Is Crystal Clear still available for 8? I only found exam 9 on her website.

Might not be ready yet…

Does anyone have recommendations on what study materials are best for Exam 8? I’m sitting for 8 for the first time this fall and not sure what to use. I used Rising Fellow for exam 7, but they don’t have a full course/videos for exam 8.

I’m taking 8 for the second time, used TIA and Cookbook. I think people recommend reading the source, I’m wondering which source specifically given the limited study time?

Is the material sequential in TIA? I am thinking of starting with XS, ded, and ind risk rating since that is the bulk of the exam and I want to avoid not understanding anything if the material is sequential.

It would be fine to start there. If you’re unfamiliar with Work Comp, I’d suggest watching the Robertson intro video before jumping into section B since I cover some Work Comp basics in that intro video.

1 Like

Exact same situation here and also wondering about this. I did read some of the big source papers (GLM, Fisher, Clark) last time that were suggested but it wasn’t enough.

Never read any source. Maybe a page here and there. It’s not necessary IMO. Also, I didn’t use Crystal Clear either. TIA, and RF were enough for me for Exam 7-9.

This is reassuring to hear. So many people are getting me nervous about having to use 4 study aids plus reading through the source material

any suggestions on how to study for 2nd attempt?

My approach for 2nd attempt was just make sure to understand each section much better than the first time. Again, I used TIA and RF only. I was never the type to overload myself with multiple study materials and sources. That’s way too much. Won’t have time to thoroughly use all of them anyways. i know many guys who used like 3 different study materials, did all practice exams, and still failed. No need to do them all. I did not even do any TIA practice exams. Just focus on past CAS problems and RF problem pack.

I went through flashcards every morning for like 6 months to know them like the back of my hand on exam day.
My goal was to be almost 100% stupid-mistake proof on exam day with easy questions, get most of the intermediate level questions right, and try to get as many partial credits on the most difficult ones. Good testing taking skill is something that everyone should also spend time learning IMO. Good luck!!!

3 Likes

@SpaceLobster posted the following series on learning to learn that I found really useful:

Why do insurers use ILFs instead of having a rate for each limit?
2 reasons I was thinking of what that:

1. It makes filing easier
  2. Data is sparse at higher limits and calculating a relativity is more accurate than calculating a rate.

Is it one of these reasons or is it for something else that I am not thinking of?

Due to volatility and credibility of data, producing an indicated rate for each limit could easily produce lower rates at higher limits, which is counterintuitive. The ILF approach prevents this, and makes sense.

1 Like

How is everyone’s studying going so far?

Starting to take work study hours this week

Where are you at in the material? How do you feel about it so far?

started from the XS, deductible, and individual risk rating section in the TIA and just finished Bahnemann and so far it is not too bad.

What makes me nervous is that this exam has such a low pass rate and I cannot get that out of my head.

Looks like registration opened, but the CAS website is being the CAS website and erroring when going through the registration process. I can’t get it to work :confused:

That happened to me and I closed and reopened the page and I was sucessful