Fall 2020 Exam 7 Sitting

I’m just typing my entire answer in a single cell. They shouldn’t care about formatting and should still be able to read it.

Cool that was my first instinct but it gives me comfort someone else is doing it too.

Are the parameters presented for the Leveled Chain Ladder Model in Meyers specifically for reported losses up to that point? Just making sure they’re not for ultimate or emerging losses.

Basically, I think the point of the model is to say that the reported losses are also subject to process variance and therefore we don’t want to treat them as “fixed” for a modeling perspective. Better way to say that but am I understanding the intent there?

That’s my understanding as well.

Yes, LCL/CCL try to parameterize the cumulative loss to date (incurred loss)

Do you guys see the skew normal distribution as something worth spending time on? Seems like it’s just a generalization and then more time is spent on specific paid models that don’t really relate.

Is there a place to sample the Pearson environment before we actually take the exam?

Yes.

Scroll to the bottom of that PDF and click the "Written Response (Exams 5-9) Sample Questions.

I’ve now finished all the 2011-2019 past exams while timing myself and graded them all. I found both 2018 and 2019 to be significantly harder than the others but still very doable. I think I finished them both in around 2 hours 45 minutes and got around 90% of the points.

At this point I’m just going to review some questions I got wrong, flip through my flash cards, and write up and post a long detailed syllabus overview of the high points here in the next couple days.

Only 4 more days until exam day!

90%? Holy cow. That’s good.

I feel more prepared for 7 than I did for 8 last fall since I’ve been studying on an off for almost a full year at this point. Also I’ve been taking it very seriously this sitting since I’m doubling up and I just want to be done.

Will look forward to the write up!

I applaud amp’s preparedness, but I’m going to be huffing and puffing to the finish line. I have Goldfarb, Brehm 3-5, Taylor, Verrall, and Marshall left to get through still as a first pass.

That said, I have started to memorize formulas and key points from earlier papers and think I could be in great shape for those plus Goldfarb and Brehm by exam day. TV&M will be swing papers for me for sure.

Luckily, I took a week off before my test date and am at the end of the window, so will see. Will take any suggestions I can get at this point. I’m sorry kicking myself for not changing my study style early enough from what I did for 8 & 9 because this one feels very different in terms of how you need to study IMO.

At this point, my biggest concern is not be able to take the exam on the exam day either due to exam center being closed, or running into some connection issues at my test center (which is a random college, as opposed to a proper Pearson environment)

Also I can’t imagine taking the exam with a mask on as I have nasal allergies (sneezing and congestion that last the entire day)

@trueblade Can’t you only write CAS exams in Pearson professional centres? Or they made an exception?

ty

The main thing with the Pearson spreadsheet is you can’t use F2 or F4 shortcuts (so you have to type the $ symbols manually in formulas). Also I heard from someone who took MAS-1 recently that highlighting multiple cells at once in the spreadsheet can cause your exam to crash. Luckily the proctor was able to pull the exam back up for them though.

I’m sure the timer stops when that happens :roll_eyes:

There are two Pearson professional centres around me but they are fully booked, that left me with this third-party test centre.

Yeah, if you need a break to take a breather just highlight an entire sheet at once :joy: