Fall 2020 Exam 7 Sitting

Friday at 3:27 or whatever my earlier prediction was

I’d appreciate information

Two questions:

  1. Does knowing the total points of the exam after the fact give anyone any advantage in the past or future?
  2. Do you not agree that people who took the test should know how many points were on it? Or is your concern the people who didn’t take the exam knowing? In which case there should be a way to inform just the people who took the test.

Not sure why knowing the number of points matters at this point. Maybe while you’re I’m in the exam but not now. Next time it’ll be a different points total.

It will most likely make you feel worse. If you think you lost 10 points for sure on the exam, then how much left do you have to lose…

Adding together all the points was actually the secret final question, you failed

I actually I chose not to do this.

I am like my time is better spent doing problems. However, I do regret it now.

Is that the best way of looking at it? What if the MQC for those 10 points was 4?

Well if you know last year’s pass mark was a 73%… You can gauge how close you are..

and yes in most scenarios you would end up with borderline.

When I had time at the end to review problems, I definitely made sure to at least triple check the highest point questions to optimize my total score on the exam. Otherwise, I didn’t take the time to determine the total points on the exam

Yes I did a bit of this. I reviewed the questions with the highest point values.

Waiting for me is harder than taking the exam

How do we tell if they upped the bandwidth on the website

F5 test.

1 Like

Note that at present, CAS views # points available as being “information about the Exam that shouldn’t be disclosed.” With that, a few things I would say in response to your questions:

  1. Given that the pass mark is often looked at as a % of total points, why does the total number of points available matter? In many professional designation exams, 70% seems to be “the magic number” . . . and I think this tends to be the baseline for CAS exams as well. Namely, if the threshold for passing is set at 80% (“easy exam”), people go ballistic. If it’s set below 65%, then there is questions around just how qualified will that group of candidate actually be?

  2. One can always ask the CAS for that information. And they should if they really must know. And they’re the ones with the actual answer (e.g., a question may be disqualified from the examination, so the total number of points will be different than what was disclosed on the Exam).

Lol at 65% producing “unqualified actuaries”. I’m sure that extra 5% discredits the 10+ yrs of professional experience in the field and the prior 9 exams. In fact, that 5% is likely a 2 or 2.5 pt question on most exams.

It would be in most peoples best interest to make the exam easier with a higher pass mark

That’s not true at all. If the exam was made to be so easy that it anyone could pass with little study, it would devalue the credential and insurers couldn’t trust that someone who’s an FCAS will be an expert in actuarial methodology.

I meant in the best interests of people taking the exam