Fall 2020 Exam 7 Sitting

And maybe check at night too, just in case they upload early…

I woke up, checked the WSJ and NYT headlines, checked gmail for CAS update and here we are!

They will post blank score reports at 2 PM today if I had to guess

I didn’t even notice we’re pretty much the only exam thread (somewhat Exam 9) that really transferred over here

A really interesting question for me is if the CAS will get mad at how many people decided to double up. I hope they didn’t do an analysis and end up failing people who passed or anything crazy like that to limit the pass rate.

138 posts were merged into an existing topic: CAS Exam Philosophy Discussion

I hate Canada today. But it is out of envy.

2 Likes

Amp you have more faith in them than me. The last time I felt as confident as you I ended up getting a 4. I hope you get your 8s though. Fingers crossed for you.

I don’t think amp has ever failed, thus the need to sit for 2 exams to really try to fail.

1 Like

Realistically I’m expecting one 7 and one 8. We’ll see how it goes though. It’s always possible they’re more harsh on partial credit in the excel format and I didn’t show enough work. It’d be pretty cool to say I got an 8 on all of 7-9 though, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Us humans are hoping for a six lol :).

Seriously - you are really impressive.

You should feel bad for him, think of all the exam threads he’ll miss out on after being done!

3 Likes

Agreed act_123. A 6 is all I’m asking for.

2018’s exam 7 and 8 are the only ones where I’ve thought the algebra is excessive. Being able to do algebra is part of being an actuary. None of the questions in 7 or 9 this sitting had unnecessary algebra imo.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: CAS Exam Philosophy Discussion

I liked Rising Fellow for 7 and 8, haven’t tried Cyrstal Clear before. Did hear the source for 9 was good and with no results yet I’ve been slowly making my way through that for now…

RF at least for 7 definitely felt like something that just tries to teach you the formulas and go just as deep as required to pass

Yeah RF is not as good for 9.

TIA has good summaries but doesn’t go in depth. If you are smart and really good at tests you can pass with just TIA.

I have read through the syllabus, RF, TIA, and CC. I think CC adds the most value and then RF second. RF is really good at getting some of the harder processes down.

It’s just most of the questions are straightforward and the exam is not like that now.

VA just made a post on CAS General for all of this discussion; might be a good idea to move that over there?