Exam changes, CIA

Surprised this hasn’t been discussed. Looks like the CIA is embarking on it’s own educational process and it’s own exams? Info on the CIA site is light, but looks like it’s happening by end of year.

Anyone know what’s going on?

Probably necessary due to fundamental differences. In the US, we would have used “its” (otoh, maybe you tried to. The site initially autocorrected mine to”it’s”)

The CIA website leaves out a few details…but at least they have some syllabi posted now.

I’m under the impression that the new system is:

• Get an actuarial science degree at one of 11 universities; or
  • Get a credential from one of a few approved actuarial societies (SOA, CAS, IFoA)…and then pass a couple of CIA-specific modules and a capstone exam

…to get ACIA, and then you take a few exams and modules out of one track to get FCIA.

I took a look at their P&C track syllabus. It’s hard to tell without textbooks or maybe sample questions, but it looks like it might even be lighter content-wise than the SOA GI track?

(Is experience rating a thing in Canadian commercial lines? Didn’t see it mentioned in the syllabus, unless it’s hidden in the 5% of the pricing exam that is “large account pricing”.)