Engaging on Social Media

This is actually twitter. And practically nobody follows me on twitter.

I like Twitter, but I keep my presence there small and I donā€™t log on very often anymore. My mental health is better for it.

Facebook is terrible, though.

I like reading people go off on trump when he tweets. Twitter is probably better than facebook

Huh, I have 27 followers. Thatā€™s more than I expected.

I know who 7 of them areā€¦

Of those I follow (40), about the only ones that ever post anything are CNN, my local NPR station, and my university. I check occasionally mostly as a quick news check.

Oh. Serenaā€™s suggestion sounds reasonable. If it were a friend, in person, Iā€™d probably point out that it doesnā€™t take a lot of malicious people to cause a lot of harm. Perhaps 10% of men sexually harass women, but every woman has been sexually harassed ā€“ and many are harassed quite a lot. If a substantial fraction of the people who voted against that Black Asian Woman are racist, thatā€™s a hell of a lot of racism that Blacks and Asians have to contend with.

Good point. Thanks.

what counts as ā€œsexually harassedā€? iā€™m not sure i have been.

Iā€™ve taken to just unfollowing or unfriending people without explicitly saying anything. Let them wonder why if they ever notice.

I donā€™t ever unfriend, but I unfollow all the time. I think Iā€™ve unfollowed at least a quarter of the people Iā€™m friends with on Facebook.

Bunch of my contacts (family, who I should have deleted or at least unfollowed, but have not because family) signing up for Parler, now their embracing of fascism wonā€™t be on display on my FB page, but I really worry about the echo chamber theyā€™re signing up for.

2 Likes

I saw some page promoting a mass exodus of trumpkins to parler because trumpkins are pissed that they keep getting suspended from fb. good riddance to them.

Hmmā€¦sounds like it might be a good time for me to head over there and put down roots for my MLM scheme.

I only unfriend when itā€™s egregious.

Iā€™ve called one person out on their casual racism and unfriended them a couple years ago (and mutual friends we shared let me know they were appreciative). Thatā€™s rare for me to say anything, though.

So this is not political, but involves engaging on social media.

So 3-4 of my Facebook friends have posted a picture of the big Macyā€™s Christmas tree being put together decrying that itā€™s ā€œso 2020ā€ that the tree looks terrible. People are responding with stuff ā€œOMG really?!?! How can Macyā€™s do this???ā€ and ā€œis this a fake picture?ā€ And stuff like that.

So I kind of assumed it was widely known but apparently not: those massive trees they put up in every city across the country do not come in one piece. They are assembled onsite from lots of pieces. People donā€™t seem to understand that and believe that Macyā€™s is really done with the tree.

So on a couple of them I posted an article explaining that the tree is not finished and will in fact be just as beautiful as in years gone by. A lot of people are like ā€œwow I never knew thatā€ but both original posters are saying that Iā€™m taking the fun out of it.

I guess I donā€™t understand why itā€™s fun to trick your friends into believing that 2020 sucks a teensy bit more than it actually does. But then Iā€™ve never really thought that tricking people was funny. :woman_shrugging:

Well, tricking stupid people isnā€™t funny. Or even difficult.

Another ā€œhow to respondā€* activity.

Re-posted by my father-in-law:

*probably not going to respond, but would like thoughts anyway.

They be trollinā€™.

in my experience, trolling is the art of eliciting an emotional response from people without actually becoming emotionally invested yourself. To be a troll, you must enjoy seeing this emotional response from others and the idea that you were able to manipulate those feelings, while remaining cold and indifferent of their feelings and the topic that caused them.

Im not sure why most people engage anyone on FB. Lack of any better outlet for social issues?

1 Like

If I saw that on my FB feed, Iā€™d not be able to resist the urge to say something like:

False dichotomy. Stop being dumb. Next!

Well one of my Facebook ā€œfriendsā€ (guy who dated one of my besties in high school whom I havenā€™t seen since his high school graduation one year before mine with the possible exception of randomly running into him at the mall or airport or something that Iā€™ve totally forgotten about) who is also a Trumpkin posted some random and completely false mortality ā€œstatisticsā€ on his feed today. He got a dressing down. I managed to avoid using the word ā€œstupidā€, but the phrases ā€œflat out wrongā€ and ā€œcompletely inaccurateā€ were both in there.

I had to edit it down considerably to get it to a length that non-actuaries would read and comprehend.