Electric Vehicles

That is heavier than my car.

1 Like

There’s not enough wind in Kansas for that!

350 kw won’t be sustainable at all SoC, but if it is good from 10% to 80%, it would take less than 30 minutes for that.

I deleted my prior post, didn’t do the math. 350kW would take 34 min to deliver 200kWh. 10% to 80% is 140kWh, at 350kw that’s 24 minutes but you won’t get 350kW all the way up. I’d say a half hour is ballpark.

Man, even at 350kW… it’s just a lot of battery.

It is a big battery, but 200kWh is the same energy content as six gallons of gas.

1 Like

Why do these people insist on using EVs incorrectly?
Analogy:
I was riding my bicycle across country, but I ran out of human energy in the middle of nowhere. There was literally no inn anywhere (emphasis added).
So, I curled up by the side of the road and died.
The End.

Point is: I wouldn’t start a cross-county bicycle venture without extreme planning and a SAG team. Now, do I need to extreme plan to drive an EV 300 miles? Yes, I do. No, I do not believe everything an internet tells me, including where actual working charging stations are. I’d want an appointment to reserve a charging station. They might need to be more like full-service restaurants.

1 Like

The battery pack weighs more than some entire cars.

Hey, I wrote that first!!

TBF: my car is a little heavier than that battery.

We did end up getting the vw id4. Liking it so far. Charging not at home is a big PITA. At first the electrician had us a few weeks out, so I was resigned to a few hour long trips to charge, but he had a cancellation and we are getting our level 2 charger installed tomorrow.

We still have our old VW e-golf (which has a small battery and can charge overnight on a standard outlet), and he says charging both at the same time will be fine; hope he is right.

1 Like

Wattage wise, L2 is like an electric oven (but constantly on while charging) L1 like a hairdryer. If you house can handle oven + hairdryer, it can handle L2 & L1 simultaneously.

1 Like

But what if I want to charge both cars, run the oven and a hairdryer? Then it will be two ovens plus two hairdryers!

Thanks for the translation, that is comforting. And a reminder of how little I understand electricity.

or if you prefer

3 Likes

I think 200A service might be standard on late 20th century homes, but I’d have to check. If you preheat your double oven, run the A/C, charge both cars and run 5 hairdryers, you might have a problem. Not sure how much continuous draw A/C has, but it does spike when starting a cycle. With level 2 charging, you probably wouldn’t need more than a few hours overnight anyway.

We do have 200 amp service.
Phew, good thing we only run 4 hairdryers at a time.

1 Like

200A should be sufficient (IANAE). Assuming you have central AC, it’ll suck up something like 80A when it kicks on, and then it’ll settle down to more like 20A or so (varies depending on size and what-not). Your fridge will pull about 6A when it’s on. An electric clothes dryer maybe 20A or so. Lighting will generally hover around something like a couple of amps for LED for a whole house, it’s really tiny. Hair dryer is about 10A or so.

So assuming your AC just kicked on (and that big 80A load lasts a second before falling fast), and you’re drying clothes, and the fridge is running, plus every light in the house, and two people are drying their hair, and the electric oven is on, and the dishwasher, you could see a 150A load. Still enough headroom for a 40A L2 charger by just a bit. If the electrician looks at your panel and tells you that you’re fine, I think you’re fine.

He just intstalled it, and I set it to not start charging until 11PM. Where we live, it cools off a lot at night, so do not expect the A/C to be kicking on that late, and even if it is, little else will be on, so we should be good.

With our old car, the cord is thin, so we can park the car in the driveway, run the charger from the garage, and still close the garage. With the L2, the cord is too thick for that. Hoping this finally motivates us to clear the crap out of our garage, and at least be able to park one car in there.

We have a 2.5 car garage, which currently has enough room for one car, so I can relate to that. Well, one car and a Vespa.

I took the easy route and cut a hole in the garage door. :laughing:

What about 60amps?

The new F150 has an option for 60A AC electrical service (7.2KWatts). How long would it take you to charge a wind-up battery powered car with 60 amps?