Dressing Up for a Virtual Interview?

I generally still fall in the traditional camp of wear a suit and tie to an in-person interview, but I would probably say tone it down so you aren’t more the 2 “steps” above the general work place dress (i.e. if most people t-shirts, shorts and flip flops you probably shouldn’t dress nicer than khakis or slacks and a dress shirt).

But what are people’s opinions about virtual interviews? Does virtual vs in-person make a difference? Is it different if it is initial vs follow-up and you have a better idea of how the interviewers dress? Does your opinion change if the interview is entry-level/first job vs experienced vs c-suite?

I think I’d still do suit and tie for a virtual interview out of an abundance of caution, but I haven’t done a remote interview. Could see it going down to just suit or even just collared shirt and slacks.

Just remember: they’re not allowed to ask you if you have pants on.

OK, they ARE allowed, but you don’t have to answer.

Suit and tie. The answer should always be “suit and tie,” then there may be exceptions to that answer.

A lot of places would view this as a negative nowadays. Overdressing in this day and age is a huge turn off, especially if the hiring manager is a millenial.

this has been obsolete for quite a while in my experience.

many HR told me explicitly to NOT wear a suit and tie when I was on an interview binge a couple eyars ago

A lot of non-actuarial places, sure.

no, even for actuarial places.

I would say even more so if your suit does not fit you well and looks cheap.

If you are going to overdress, make sure that thing is tailored af.

Suitcoat, OCBD/tie/tie clip or blouse, face shaved if applicable, underwear, socks if chilly.

Wrong thread

I had this experience with some tech companies. But if they’re going to care that much about forcing me to be casual that’s as bad as forcing me to be formal.

So suit it is because that’s my preferred form of dress.

My thoughts are wear what you want to weed out the people who care about the way you dress. They would be annoying to work with.

1 Like

well, I don’t even own a suit I don’t think. I imagine a lot of young talent don’t either. so requiring a suit is an immediate turn off. I imagine companies that value dressing up will be in the same boat as companies that value going into the office - essentially, they’ll be getting the leftover talent from other more progressive companies.

I doubt it, I think it’s at least a NYC thing, probably other big cities too.

I think a suit requirement is indeed silly, especially for graduates who don’t really have the resources to go get one or think about that kind of stuff.

I did get “do you think you’re better than us” kind of vibes from certain interviewers but it’s like no, I just like wearing one.

so you enjoy torture

I have have been on both sides on interviews virtually recently. A few folks wore a suit, but mostly collared shirt, business casual.

1 Like

I’ve got some nice ones, I wouldn’t wear them if they were uncomfortable

I would say that if you’re asking…I’d recommend something on the nicer/more formal side of business casual for a virtual interview.

I don’t know that there’s set rules yet within the actuarial profession for how to handle virtual interviews, so I wouldn’t say that full formal business dress is “wrong”…but I’d feel a little uncomfortable if I were interviewing a candidate so-dressed, and it might ping my BS detector a bit. However, I do work someplace where the dress code was on the informal side of business casual back in the before times, and our Teams meetings are casual dress.

For in-person interviews, however, I think the default remains full business dress (apologizing for being over dressed if necessary) unless otherwise instructed.

This may be the one instance where it’s easier being a woman.