Dominion suing the lying liars

Have you guys asked your Trump voting friends/family what they believe?

Is it possible to get an honest answer?

And I don’t mean that in a snarky way. I really don’t have any Trump voting friends and am really not sure it’s possible to get an honest answer out of anybody about anything.

I have a 2x Trump voting father and I have had many conversations with him about Trump.

His take is that yes, there definitely was fraud, but not enough to affect the outcome and Biden really was the rightful winner.

Trump didn’t incite the January 6 rioters… completely not Trump’s fault, crazy to suggest holding Trump responsible.

He often says “ignore all of the bad stuff Trump ever said and only look at all of the good stuff that he did.” (Both before and after January 6.)

My Dad would have rather had a different Republican win the 2016 election, but preferred Trump to Clinton. (And Biden 4 years later.)

He voted for Kasich in the 2016 Ohio primary because it was important for Kasich to get 70% of the vote so that Trump would get 0 delegates. But I think he actually preferred Rubio at that point. I know Rubio told his Ohio supporters “DON’T vote me; vote for Kasich”.

anecdotes are just anecdotes

I’ve posted this elsewhere, but he counts TCJA, judicial nominations, moving the Israeli embassy to Jerusalem, getting tough with China, and curbing illegal immigration as Trump successes.

Probably others that I’m forgetting.

The % of population that has claimed Biden stole the election is so high, that we would expect to hear from some of them anecdotally. Of course, this forum is so educated and the country so divided, that the sample could just be too biased.

Twig’s dad is at least a Trump supporter, though obviously not an average one.

I listened to a podcast recently that touched on this issue exactly. The psychologist discussed why people think the way they do on politics. He said it’s largely not really motivated by their rational opinions on policy it’s often motivated mostly by social dynamics. Basically it’s more important to us to fit into our social groups than it is to be rational about political policies.

I would say based on posting on 2 message boards with basically the exact opposite political persuasion I would agree. People here align pretty quickly around a leftish position because they want to be friendly on the rest of the forum. People on the other site align pretty quickly around right wing positions because they want to be friendly on the rest of the forum.

3 Likes

I half agree. I think it’s complicated by the fact that right now, the split (Left v Right) is all about education. And this forum is populated by the highly educated.

10 years ago, it was more like 50/50. And 50 years ago, it would have been very right leaning.

Put somewhat differently, I think Trump is the opposite of what makes an Actuary. More so than other politicians.

1 Like

we have deplorable actuaries on the forum though

3 Likes

True, but many? of them weren’t actuaries. Ito was, though he was also kind of crazy shit.

20 years ago on the AO we had endless debates about how Bush’s lies about going to was in Iraq compared with Clinton lying under oath about BJs from an intern. Its interesting in that it was sort of an early sign of the power fox news was building in that they had plenty of reasonably educated people ready to buy into a narrative that had many holes in it at the time. The next 10 years or so really just proved all that out, and narrative from fox just shifted enough to keep the Republicans content with the decision.

Of course, Obama gave them enough to obsess with to finally move on to something else. Death panels and all that.

The revelations of the dominion lawsuit along with tuckers blatant whitewashing of January 6 a few days later should really cause a lot of people to throw in the towel on fox news. Unfortunately, looking at Twitter reactions, it’s only reinforcing the previously held views.

I really don’t get how someone can filter the information about January 6 in a way that they conclude there was no wrongdoing and everyone including Jacob chansley should be immediately released, but here we are.

You know then content is bad when Mitch McConnell and other Republican Senators sign a letter saying Carlson is spewing BS. But yeah, damage done and people are going to believe Carlson.

2 Likes

what can you expect from deplorables

we know who they are and the level of intelligence they have, even on this forum

1 Like

In case anyone in interested in learning more about this:

1 Like

If people read, understood, and believed the lawsuit, I’m sure they would be pretty upset about it.

It’s so much easier to believe that the liberals are persecuting Trump.

I think it’s along the line of: it’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person.

1 Like

Obligatory

The sad truth is that Fox was basically right.

If they had come out and said that Biden won, and that Trump and his and coterie are full of shit, then then their viewers would say that they’ve joined forces with CNN and the Deep State, and the only thing to do is to find a new for their alternative facts.

Eh, they can be pro-Republican without being pro-big-lie. They can look to non-big-lie Republicans if they want examples of what to say and how to spin things.

I mean, they admitted that Obama won in 2008 & 2012 without claiming either election had been stolen.