Dominion suing the lying liars

2 Likes

I read about this in… either NYT or The Economist this morning… can’t recall. I’m very :popcorn:

2 Likes

Any ideas about suing some of these news organizations for pushing vaccine misinformation? I could see a wife whose husband refused to get vaccinated and died of Covid going after them. No idea how that could hold up in court. I definitely think this is how you protect free speech and combat lying though. Sue the liars every time their lies cause damage.

1 Like

Fox lost its challenge to be removed from the suit. This could get popcorn worthy.

For those who like to read while eating popcorn:

So the recent issue seems to be over whether they could sue Fox Corp in addition to just Fox News. Fox Corp lost.

The New York Times recently won a case brought by Sarah Palin. But:

This will be interesting. I’m sure there is a high bar for Dominion to clear for them to prevail and I don’t think any of the early claims are problematic as that was legitimate news even if it was relatively quickly debunked.

I think it’s Fox continuing to push it after it was debunked and Dominion asked for and did not get corrections is where Fox seems like they may get in trouble.

Agree.

Here’s the filing, btw, lots of popcorn here.

I recommend just reading it if you want a small glimpse in what Fox News looks like when faced with a moral dilemma and everything is on fire.

2 Likes

I thought that Trump was able to rig the 2016 election and the same co-conspirators would not acquiesce in 2020 so he gaslighted the crap out of everyone.

If by this you mean to say that he got Hilary to be the Dem nominee, that makes some sense, but the rest doesn’t.

In case anyone doesn’t want to read that, I think this is a reasonable summary that is pretty brief, by the failing New York Times.

needs more f-bombs.

Interesting admissions by Rupert Murdoch in his deposition.

3 Likes

Interesting that Paul Ryan, who is on Fox’s board of directors, told them to stop spouting the lies and move on.

2 Likes

from what i know of defamation of public figures, you have to prove they knew it was false and that they had malicious intent. I suppose the malice to be suggested is “didn’t care about how it hurt anyone but we loved the flow of money.”

1 Like

20230301_112827

1 Like

As a loyal Fox News viewer, I will say there are some really good anchors who didn’t spout lies.

1 Like

So… Rupert Murdoch on Team DeSantis? I mean, that was a completely predictable response from Trump. So maybe Murdoch’s game is to give Trump enough rope to hang himself?

IMO, a key bit from the filing:

On January 5,Rupert Murdoch told Suzanne Scott, “It’s been suggested our prime time three should independently or together say something like the election is over and Joe Biden won, and that such a statement would go a long way to stop the Trump myth that the election stolen.”