Doggo thread

2 Likes

She’s 71 pounds but should be about 65.

1 Like

She wears a repurposed IV bag as protection over her bandage when we go outside. It sounds like a flopping flat tire when she walks.

1 Like

Paw is healing nicely and bandaging is off. She still has to wear a bag over her foot when going outside, so the dog door remains locked.

3 Likes

The dog is not supposed to run or jump for another 10 days. Guess what she immediately did when I opened the back door?

She is whining for me to go out and play.

4 Likes

When putting on her boot for her last trip outside last night I noticed all her stitches were gone. They were not dissolvable stitches. Part of the wound is still open. Back at the vet to get more stitches.

I shake my head when people complain about adoption fees for pets being too high. That is the cheapest cost of owning a pet.

3 Likes

This is so flipping cool.

I don’t know how realistic the movie “A Beautiful Mind” was, but it helped me understand that people with schizophrenia really think they see what they’re seeing.

This dog, Luna, is trained to greet people, but, if there’s no one there (i.e., the human is hallucinating) the dog is trained to just sit there & stare at the person.

3 Likes

I saw that. Pretty cool!

1 Like

My dog is back to being whiny and high maintenance, so there’s that. She is so happy to run again.

5 Likes

It is said that dogs grow to resemble their owners. More chicken, she whined. :dog:

3 Likes

Is this also Happy Thoughts/Case studies with obvious results?
We are indeed good dogs

4 Likes

We’ve taken vacations with the dog before, but always in VRBO spots. This is her first night staying in a hotel with us. They asked us to use this hangtag on the door.

5 Likes

So I’ve been fostering pups as I mentioned.

I’d been taking a little break after 15 puppies in less than 6 months. But I agreed to vacation foster three little beagle mutts for a couple of weeks. They arrived this morning. So cute! 8 weeks old. And they’ve had first round of vax.

I took a little video in the yard and posted it on FB to show them off. (Cuz that’s how they get adopted). A few friends and neighbors comment with interest. Cool.

Then the rescue gal messages me: puppies have only had one vaccine. They cannot be outside yet.

Whut??? I said: I know they can’t go for walks etc. but they can’t even be in my own fenced backyard space?? This is new to me.

Her: Correct. To have paws on the ground outside they need to have two sets of vaccines to be safe.

Me: Uhhh ok. This is new to me. I’m sorry. I’ve had all the puppies in my care onto the grass much sooner than that. I’ll do the best I can. If you want someone else to take them, I’ll facilitate. Then I won’t foster anymore. I have not heard of this rule - my apologies if it was on me that I missed it. I’ve always started grass training at 3-4 weeks old.

A little more back and forth that then got snippy (both of us) I told them I thought that was ridiculous. They came and picked them up.
I spoke to another foster mom who said she has never heard of or followed that rule.

So I said that they should make an announcement on the volunteer group FB page bc for sure others don’t know about this. And they kicked me off the Facebook page :joy::joy::joy:

Soooo … if you get a rescue puppy and have a hard time house training it … this is why :woman_shrugging::joy:

2 Likes

1 Like

I think the general advice is to not take young pups to dog parks etc for socializing before they are fully vaccinated, but I agree that it’s a WTF to extend that to outside. They aren’t vaccinated against dirt and grass.

2 Likes

In all fairness, I get that parvo is a risk. It’s highly contagious and often fatal for unvaxxed pups.

So you do have to be careful … you can’t take them to dog parks and you shouldn’t take them out for walks on the street until they are fully vaccinated.

But every puppy they’ve put in my care has been in my backyard. Backyards in general are considered relatively safe if you haven’t had parvo in at least a year.

I got approved with another org a few months ago (bc this one said my kennels were not ok :roll_eyes:) and I asked them what their policy was and they said case-by-case.

Which makes sense. If I lived out on acreage or where my yard had a lot of wildlife or whatnot, I could see it. And I wouldn’t even have them out in the front yard because other dogs walk by there

But my fenced backyard in my posh ‘burb?? Where do you think MY dog poops??? :joy:

It’s just disappointing. They post all the time about how desperate they are for fosters. But this is the (literal) hill you wanna die on? :expressionless:

1 Like

Dog enjoying her best life

7 Likes
2 Likes

This could also go in Canada <> US. What circumstance causes a functioning adult to be stuck in mud for days unable to get help?

Information that was useless to me: Taber is located about 50 kilometres east of Lethbridge.

2 Likes

Taber is located about 30 miles east of Lethbridge.

How about now?

2 Likes