Does lettuce belong on gyros?

Now I think I might make gyros and Greek salad this weekend. Will I have time for that and to do my pickled beets? Stay tuned!

Spouse likes onion, I do not.

I like onion, my spouse likes a LOT of onion.

I have seen FF in Falafel (never seen it in Gyro)

3rd Question: How do you pronounce it? Do you ever pronounce it wrong thinking proper is pretentious or you wonā€™t be understood

Giro
Yero
Hero
Hyero
Zero
other

I use Yero - silent G

Same

Same. Some friends from the Northeast say it with a J sound

If you use the j sound, I will judge you. Unless youā€™re talking about a gyroscope.

2 Likes

Itā€™sā€¦ fine. Iā€™m not a huge fan of fries, so Iā€™d generally pass on them. 100% agree you have to eat it right away, the fries are trying to lose their moisture, and when you stick fries in the gyro thereā€™s nowhere for the steam to go and they get soggy quickly.

actually that is how I should have phonetically spelled the first choice

You havenā€™t tried my fries. Having a fish fry/fish and chips this weekend. You should come, and be amazed.

1 Like

Iā€™ll charge up my Tesla! Seriously, one of these days I need to do a big Canadian road trip. Might make for a good sabbatical in three years.

Year-o. Rhymes with Hero

That was sort of my question: is lettuce culturally appropriate?

Now I want a gyro.

2 Likes

I told my wife last night we should go out to celebrate her new job, and I was excited when she asked if Greek was ok!!!

4 Likes

I had to think for a moment. Itā€™s been a while since I had a year-oh, but my mind seems to recall most of them having tomato and onion but not lettuce. Quick research confirmed that that seems to be the traditional way to do it. So I had to vote no - midwest. Iā€™m a fan of discovering whatā€™s traditional with signature dishes and sticking to that as the definition of a true that-thing.

That said, I wonā€™t ā€œskewerā€ you (pun semi-intended) if you do your own thing. Just donā€™t call it a true that-thing if you stray from the traditional definition of that-thing.

I was faced with something similar when I had a falafel with fries on it. Wasnā€™t a fan, just like I wasnā€™t a fan of fries in sandwiches when we went to an AO potacular in Pittsburgh several years ago and ate at Primantiā€™s. Perhaps the fries in gyros concept was invented by the great Greek philosopher Primantiyos.

Only when Iā€™m on a ski trip

I tried that once at Fat Shack, I went in and ordered their namesake sandwich. I didnā€™t love the fact that it had fried chicken and a mozzarella stick inside, but what got me the most is how nasty the fries were. Just mushy potatoes. I guess if youā€™re 22 years old and drunk / hung over, itā€™s what you need, but Iā€™m a hard no on Fat Shack.

If you want a green leafy substance on your gyro, put on some grape leaves.

1 Like