Do you sell your RSUs as soon as they vest?

Exam 9 says you should, I was wondering if you guys actually follow the advice of our syllabus.

where

Rodents of Superior Utilization? I don’t believe they exist let alone put on a vest . . .

2 Likes

Rochester State University

I don’t believe in them, either.

1 Like

I think they have a dentist school. You’re an anti-dentite.

(P.s., full ride scholarship if your name is Crentist.)

1 Like

last I checked . . . that wasn’t a protected class . . . at least they haven’t hired security guards that I’ve seen

My apologies to CS for such a tangent to the thread :grimacing:

the part where it talks about RSUs

Don’t remember that at all.

Why would it talk about that

RSUs are correlated with your base pay so you should sell them and diversify your holdings

1 Like

Yes, I’m amazed how many people in actuarial I talk to who don’t immediately sell their RSU/ESPP shares with faulty reasonings like having a bullish sense of the company.

Back when it was an option for me, I mostly divested as soon as I was allowed to.

It’s OK to hold a few shares of your employer, either as a small component of a diversified portfolio, or with discretionary funds…but I would get indigestion from the aggregation of (risk of the stock price dropping) and (risk the company having issues that cost me a job), and I dislike the restrictions on trading that can arise if you qualify as an insider.

I feel sorry for Enron employees who got caught in this trap.

2 Likes

I sold them as soon as I could the first few years I received them, but kept them the last few years for a couple of reasons. It is not a significant portion of my savings.

Which it doesn’t, as far as I can tell.

RSUs and actuaries are pretty disconnected. Unless you work in tech or a start up

1 Like

I don’t think there’s a choice. They always settle in cash. In that sense, they are RSUs and not restricted shares.

This kinda sucks because they are taxed at your ordinary income rate and not the capital gains tax rate, which would usually be cheaper.

Is deferred comp that rare?

in the form of stock? for insurance? I haven’t seen any.

I’ve worked at companies where you can buy company stocks and they may match a percentage, but that’s different.

13% of my total compensation was stock and options last year, and I’m not even that high up on the totem pole… Just means I have to wait longer to get it.

1 Like