Do you refrigerate your eggs?

I notice that the fresh egg yolks are larger and more orange. Taste is VERY similar though.

I believe ā€œpasture raisedā€ are sold as ā€œfree rangeā€. Basically, the chickens arenā€™t kept in tiny cages all the time.

Not sure what I would have called ours. We had a section of the barn that was fenced off with chicken wire behind which the chickens stayed. There were a bunch of small 1 foot or so cube nesting cubbies that the chickens would go into to lay their eggs. When we would go feed the chickens their mash in a feeding trough and throwing some chicken scratch on the floor, we would pick out all the eggs that had been laid that day and take them into the house were they were rinsed off, but not really washed.

If you hold an egg using only your index finger and thumb . . . and then move it side to side in front of your face . . .

Youā€™d have past-your-eyesā€™d eggs.

1 Like

@Lucy Probably explained it the best, but yeah, the US requires eggs to have their protective coating washed off which makes them more prone to spoiling.

I feel that farm-fresh eggs are a little tastier than factory-washed ones, but not by that much. Not enough to justify going from $0.90/doz to $3-4. Occasionally Iā€™ll buy them if Iā€™m at a farmerā€™s market and feeling fancy. The color difference is much more pronounced than the flavor.

We get eggs straight from our ducksā€¦ and theyā€™re prodigious layers. Some even lay two eggs in a day. I usually have to clear off some bits of hay & dirt and I have sponges Iā€™ve set aside specifically only for egg-cleaning.

We have an egg skelter in which we keep the eggs, and itā€™s usually in the fridge just due to the volume (we also have some cardboard cartons left over from the eggs we buy when the ducks arenā€™t laying). There have been so many eggs this year, Iā€™ve had to freeze them, too.

New word. I donā€™t know when Iā€™ll use it. Keeping it though.

It has to be related to helter-skelter, but I canā€™t find etymology for that quickly online. Makes total sense though. Itā€™s an odd usage since a skelter seems to keep things orderly whilst helter-skelter means pandemonium/disorder.

Your grocery store sells Pasteurized eggs? Iā€™ve never seen that in my whole life. That would be super handy for recipes that use raw eggs. Itā€™s a hassle to Pasteurize them myself. Where do you buy Pasteurized eggs?

ETA: Oh, I see this was already discussed.

Iā€™ve never bought them, but Alton Brown had mentioned several times that they are available.

2 Likes

This is the closest to what we got (I can no longer find the specific product at Tractor Supply)

Not sure which came firstā€¦

huh weird, I didnā€™t realize it actually had a meaning beyond the whole Manson thing

this will probably get me some upvotes on reddit

2 Likes

Mine does. There might even be two brands. Iā€™ve never bought them, because Iā€™m distrustful of change in my food. :wink:

Also, the only recipe I can think of that calls for eggs and doesnā€™t involve heat is egg nog, and that has so much booze that Iā€™m not worried about the germs.

Foods that might contain raw eggs include:

homemade mayonnaise.
hollandaise and bƩarnaise sauces.
salad dressings.
ice cream.
icing.
mousse.
tiramisu.

I think the salad dressing would include Ceasar Salad dressing?

Though, AB had an episode about something that included raw egg in the recipe and he gave some statistic about how many salmonella cases had been traced to raw eggs in the US and it was like 2 or 3 in the last 20+ years? He might have had many more caveat on that and it might have been deaths rather than illness. Wiki says 30 people die annually from Salmonella from eggs.

Weā€™ve made hollandaise, ice cream, icing, and mousse. All involved enough heat that Iā€™m not worried about it. For icing, I literally drizzle hot sugar syrup into the egg yolk. The hard part is preventing it from instantly curdling.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™ve made Caesar dressing like 5 times in just the past month.

Raw yolk, lemon, anchovy, garlic, salt, pepper, Dijon, olive oil.

Ignore any recipe that suggests not using anchovy (whole or paste is fine), or using mayo. Some people put Parmesan into the dressing, which is, whatever, fine.

I like to make a chiffon pie where the egg whites get whipped, but not cooked. The yolks are cooked, but thereā€™s still a small risk from the whites.

Also for Royal icing (for assembling gingerbread houses) you use uncooked egg whites, although for that I will sometimes just buy meringue powder.

Some cocktails call for raw egg whites but Iā€™m not really as adventurous with cocktails as I used to be.

Hmmm, I donā€™t care for any of the uncooked ice cream recipes Iā€™ve tried. I always go for the cooked ones, which have a better texture, IMO. Iā€™m not sure Iā€™ve ever seen a recipe for raw ice cream that included eggs though. :woman_shrugging:

I mostly prefer raw recipes that have no egg to cooked recipes with egg. Iā€™ve never tried a raw recipe with egg. I donā€™t think it would even work ā€“ the point of the egg is to make custard.

Oh, I have made that. Butā€¦ honestly, royal icing isnā€™t anything you want to eat anyway. And I wonder if the sugar isnā€™t enough to kill bacteria.

Thinking about it, most of my exposure to raw eggs is from making cookies. And I suppose when I make ā€œeggsā€ I donā€™t cook it all that thoroughly.