Do you do elf on the shelf?

I was being serious

Same. And I am still bitter.

1 Like

Our kids were too old for the Elf when it got popular, but honestly? We were horrible at the tooth fairy. Advent calendars got open when we remembered. There’s no way we would have succeeded at the elf thing.

We were better at made up stuff like setting a trap for a leprechaun one March. That guy made a mess, but it was a one time thing. My daughter was more mad about that than about Santa, when she found out.

1 Like

man my parents were boring

I told kids in school that santa was fake. The dumb elf didnt exist yet.

Right!? Our kids only believe in Santa because they have absolute trust and faith that my wife and I are telling them the truth, and yet we knowingly lie. It’s so unethical! But now I’m a Grinch…

1 Like

sounds way too sexual, in a hetero way

my kids lie to me all the time. So do I lie to them? hell yeah

He should have said no hetero first!

Well who started it!?

don’t remember

also, this thread makes me feel marginalized and excluded, as i don’t know what the hell is an elf on a shelf

Yes, the elf is quite a commitment. I advise new parents against it.

1 Like

We did it for a few years when the kids were younger, but it was hard to remember to move all 3 “elves” to a new and interesting place every night.

1 Like

3? Jeez, you couldn’t have consolidated?

1 Like

if the kids are going to get mad about being lied to, doesn’t that say that maybe it’s better not to lie to them.

i couldn’t care less where the gifts came from as long as i got stuff.

:rofl: no way my kids are sharing anything, especially not an elf. They each had their own, and I was supposed to remember their names too.

Easy way to end the elf game if you find it too burdensome

5 Likes

white people are so weird

4 Likes

I’m on your side on this. But my husband won the battle.

I put my foot down last year and told my younger son the truth. It started feeling super wrong, he was clearly questioning and piecing the whole thing together, and we were supposed to do what, continue lying to his face? Felt crummy.

3 Likes