Do you do elf on the shelf?

Anyway, it’s not unusual. Plenty of people hate Richard Dawkins style atheists that beat people over the head with their “knowledge”.

21 posts were split to a new topic: Does everybody worship something? (Split from elf thread)

Since when is it the goal for a parent to always be “nice” when it comes to raising their kids?

FWIW, at this stage of the kids life, the nature of the presents starts to change as well. Total costs for presents is about the same (adjusted for inflation), but the kid is now getting more expensive gifts.

nor does it make sense to say, oh you don’t believe in this fictitious character anymore, so you get less stuff.

your next paragraph you basically negated what you said before about the kids getting less anyway.

I’m a little surprised there were a lot of first graders who still believed in Santa. But not at all surprised that the kids resented the Santa truther.

Some do, some don’t. Aggressively evangelical Christians are often despised as much as aggressively evangelical atheists.

lol christian parents afraid that their kids have critical thinking skills.

Reminds me of a friend (PhD in nuclear science) whose Christian mom told him that he’s too smart for his own good (probably also blamed that on him turning out gay). His mom fully believes he’s going to hell, so the “too smart” comment was more from sadness.

First grade is age 6-7. It’s the norm at that age to believe in Santa.

Here’s a YouGov poll on average age that kids find out-

Age stopped believing percent cumulative percent of believers that identified an age
4 or younger 5 6.3%
5 6 13.9%
6 8 24.1%
7 10 36.7%
8 13 53.2%
9 7 62.0%
10 12 77.2%
11 6 84.8%
12 6 92.4%
13 2 94.9%
14 or older 4 100.0%
unknown 14
never 7
1 Like

Re: Elf on the Shelf
Kids are too old to GAF now but even if they weren’t the Elf would mostly be staring out the window wondering when the kids were coming back.

Re: Santa
My mum only put out one gift that was “from Santa” every year and the rest were from her so I was pretty skeptical of the whole Santa story from the get-go. Also I didn’t have a chimney… so how was that supposed to work?! I did have high hopes for the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny.

one day (probably soon) my daughter will come to me and say “santa is not real. He’s just make believe”. And i’ll congratulate her for being a critical thinker

there was a kid in my elementary class, shortly after the empire strikes back, came to class and blurted out to everyone “darth vader is lukes father!”

this was before i got to see it, of course

i hate that kid. Hate him forever

3 Likes

Huh. Those numbers shock me. I would have expected most 3 year olds to believe in Santa, and most kids to find out what’s up around 5 or 6, when they interact with a lot of other kids at kindergarten. And honestly, I’d expect daycare kids to mostly find out around 4. I would have thought 7 would be an outlier.

A place I stopped at today was playing “I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus”. It’s supposed to be a funny and pleasant holiday song, but if that happened in reality I imagine it could be pretty traumatic for some kids.

2 Likes

i’d imagine most kids aren’t idiots and if their father was dressed as santa claus they would recognize the person as their father. what would be traumatic about this?

isn’t the entire basis for christianity about spreading the word of jesus and that’s why there are so many christians while judaism is a dying religion because we don’t evangelize?

I hate that song.

3 Likes

what if that time comes when your little genius is 17?

there’s gonna be some shame for parents of dumb kids in that category.

mariah carey is worse

:guitarwo:

1 Like

that’s lovely