Do I want to get "One FREE year of AAA"?

Wait, does that mean that AAA will let you drive to any bar within 10 miles of home, drink yourself silly, and they will not only give you a free uber ride home, but tow your car home free too?

Yes, I’ve heard of that before.

OK I looked that up, and the program is VERY limited in scope. Only in a few states and then only on 6 holidays per year, you can not pre-arrange it, and they don’t seem to guarantee that they can come get you if they get too busy.

1 Like

However, just disconnect your battery, call AAA and tell them your car won’t start - anytime of year.

1 Like

yup. same with comprehensive coverage

My comp coverages have always had towing as a separate charge or subject to deductible.

However, my employers also have always offered employees free towing (and sometimes discounted auto rates) so I’ve never needed to use that.

I’m saying, rack up all your damages in your car without getting it fixed. then just claim it all happened at the same time and get it all fixed within one deductible

Or squeegee the battery like Walt did in Breaking Bad

Its cheaper than my insurance towing on three cars and you get discounts on amusement parks, hotels and such.

But then they fix your battery and you’re free to drive home drunk.

1 Like

IME if my car’s broken down they don’t diagnose. They’re paid to tow. They might’ve asked if I was sure I had gas or similar but they never popped my hood.

that’s my experience. no diagnosis. they can provide a jump if that is requested and then a tow if that fails. (or replace the battery right there in some cases) but they mostly change tires, jump a car, bring gas, and tow.

Also, get keys out of locked cars.

2 Likes

Harder to do with newer cars. I can’t lock my key in the car. The car knows the key is in there and the door won’t lock!

AAA membership sounds really good if you have an EV.

Been there, done that. :grimacing:

Strangely enough, it’s happened to my son’s old Prius (2004). He has only the one key (“given” to him by his godfather about six years ago), and when the 12V battery goes dead, jump-starting it automatically locks the doors.

1 Like

I’ll take that challenge! I’ll come over after work.

1 Like

:joy:

twigging.
Again, it’s twig’s new car, but not possibly EVERY new car.
As support data, though, for my wife’s newer car (2015), when there is a key in the car, it won’t let me remotely lock the car from OUTSIDE the car with the other key. Not sure about locking using the door mechanism. She’s not home yet to find out.

Exception: when the car is on, and in gear, doors lock. And the key is inside, so, technically, …