Do I LOOK. FIN. STUPID. TO YOU?

Posted a couple laptops on a classified ads site just now. Like three seconds later, my text goes off. Here’s what’s happened so far:
Them: Hey Im interested in buying your lenovo t540p.May I know it’s condition and your final asking price?
Me: It’s pretty much like new. Asking 275. (yes, I’m already aware. They have a US phone #).
Them: Sounds good
Them: Where are you located?
Me: Town name
them: Actually I’m out of town for a busienss trip but I have a liable shipping company that will come over for the pickup at your door step. When will you be available to meet them?
me: I’m out of town for business as well so it wouldn’t be available until next week time. (No I’m not).
them: Perfect, I’m okay with that and I’m going to make the payment with a certified cheque, hope you know how to make a mobile cheque deposit.

Me: I have two available, do you have any interest in both? I would do both for $400. As for mobile deposit, I don’t know myself, but I’m sure my wife can figure it out.

…to be continued.

1 Like

Lol. Why yes, he would like both.
Them: Yes, I want both and I will walk you through how to deposit.
What financial institution are yo ubanking with, like i do bank with scotia bank.

I think I better give them the name of the local mennonite credit union. But, I’ve got some stuff to do so maybe I’ll let them cool a bit.

1 Like

How long do you think you drag this scam out for? Need the over/under.

It’ll probably be more about my time than theirs. I expect I’ll get bored with this fast.

1 Like

You should schedule a time to meet them (in a public place where you are already planning to be) and when someone shows up tell them you only accept cash.

Or don’t actually show up.

They’re not even in the same country, maybe not even the same continent. That’s why they don’t do pickup, they send somebody to pick it up.

Right, but that person clearly has to be involved somehow. So schedule a pickup and ghost them. See how many times they reschedule.

Ah, you mean play with their pickup service. Probably not a good idea, not if they’re using a shipping company, which I assume they are. Then I’m just screwing with local workers.

Not necessarily. The local person may not know a thing.

Maybe. If this account schedules enough no-shows then they get charged just for going somewhere or the account gets cancelled. If it is a pickup service seems like the local worker is getting paid regardless.

1 Like

This could be amusing … :popcorn:

I’m in

1 Like

I might text and tell them that I don’t know how to do mobile banking.

These are all scams. It’s super annoying. You can’t post anything on Craigslist anymore.

2 Likes

I’m curious how this scam works. Does the certified check bounce?

1 Like

Yep. Whatever payment method they use go w through them bounces.

3 Likes

You should tell them that they shouldn’t bother with the expense of a certified cheque. Rather, just have them provide you with their routing and account numbers and you’ll take care of the payment for them.

Also, tell them that you have a cousin in the area and they’ll just drop by with the merchandise, you just need their address.

3 Likes

Tell them that you only accept payment in Target gift cards.

2 Likes

I don’t want to lose this deal!

3 Likes