DIY shades

If you can make your own shades, then you’ve got it made in the shade. And your future is so bright you’ll have to wear shades.

I only like the shades when they’re blocking the light.

We’re about to replace 26 windows and will also be considering blinds/shades things. Agree everything related to windows is stupidly expensive. I don’t mind installing some blinds. I mind a little bit the prospect of installing 26 sets of anything. I’d just rather do something else, but $$$. So, not certain what direction we’re headed with that part yet.

I spent 20k on my shades (automatic).

You’ll be fine.

My thoughts on automatic shades stop at the idea of another motor is something else to break, and I already have enough shit around the house to worry about fixing.

2 Likes

I’m probably a year out from having… I think it’s 23 windows rebuilt. They’re 111 years old, and the wood is solid but some are painted shut, lots of ropes have snapped that connect them to the weights, and they need new weatherstripping. Can’t wait to see what that will cost, over/under is about $1k per. Plus new storm windows.

Over. We’re just doing basic pocket vinyl and it isn’t too far from that. Inflation’s a bitch. I would have definitely waited, but the gaps in these seams are awful. My daughter’s room is easily 5-10 degrees colder than the rest of the house at night, and also has a mushroom growing on the bottom side of one of the frames between the panes. They are super crap. It’s her first winter in this room so we didn’t really notice previously. Luckily, family continues to provide a billion new unicorn blankets every birthday/christmas, so she’s all set.

1 Like

midnight snack!

Yikes, that’s bad. My windows haven’t been maintained for 3-4 decades (best guess) and we don’t have that much temperature variance. Maybe it’s just that ALL of them are uniformly drafty, lol.

My furnace is too small for my house so we definitely get a nice 5-10 degree difference when it’s < 30 degrees outside if you go to the edges of the house versus the center. Particularly my room gets quite cold because it’s at the far end of the house with 3 outside walls.

Yeah, the black weatherstripping thing (i know there’s an actual name for this) that lines between the panes are almost all warped out of shape.

That recent winterstorm where we got down to ~8 degrees was fun. Had a couple space heaters going at night in my room and my girls’ room.

Not sure what your timing is, but if it’ll be a while then you can go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and get plastic film that you put on the inside of the window. You hit it with a hair dryer to shrink it so that it gives you a clear view. It’s like $12 per window and is pretty effective, and takes just a few minutes to install.

1 Like

Oh that’s clever, I’ll have to try that. Thanks!

Here’s one option, it should be near the weatherstrip products and is generally in stock. Cheaper than I thought, $18 for a nine-pack. They come in different sizes so make sure to get the right size.

1 Like

rich person alert

Suburb in the po’!

If I had 26 windows I’d think smart blinds are even more important. Ain’t nobody running around opening and closing shades around the house everyday

I have 8 windows in my condo and I can’t imagine doing it all by hand each day. Granted I do only face one direction (the sun) so closing the blinds are the daily ritual.

My mom/sister’s house is a horribly built really old farm house. When the wind blows, the curtains move lol.
When mom wakes up in the morning and her hair’s in disarray, my bil tends to comment 'is there a draft? I have to fix that window.".

1 Like