Did corporal punishment make sense when it was popular?

Pain is effective at creating fear and compliance. I don’t think it creates respect though.

To the original question, we’re hunters capable of violence so it started because we have an inbred instinct to resort to violence when upset.

IIRC most research indicates being hit doesn’t improve compliance.

It may create an immediate impact, but does it really work better than other means at preventing unwanted behaviour?

I think you’ve got your work cut out for you to prove that non-hitting based methods produce compliance as quickly as spanking, etc. Not hitting your kid is a choice because of the other benefits, but speed of compliance is certainly not one.

do you think asians respect their parents less than white families? seems like the opposite to me

fear <> respect and Respect <> love

you think asians fear their parents more than white kids?

As PZ said, fear <> respect

not a shred of data suggests spanking actually helps kids become better adjusted

But are those consequences perceived by the child in the manner intended?

For the 3 year old that misbehaves, a scolding isn’t going to necessarily have the intended impact if the child is perceiving it as part of a game that they’re enjoying. For example, my brother (when he was a kid) and my youngest child didn’t respond at all to scolding.

And the longer an inappropriate behavior persists w/o (appropriate) consequence, the bigger the struggle (and the long time it’ll take) to get it changed when they’re older.

I certainly don’t fear my parents.

I cannot imagine not having resentment towards parents or teachers for beating you for getting less than 100. Seems wrong and unnecessary to push your kids that hard.

“better adjusted” isn’t compliance. Not getting out of bed after I’ve put you down for bed is compliance. If my kid gets out of bed and I threaten to take a stuffed animal away vs my kid gets out of bed and I spank them I think it’s safe to say which will get them staying in bed more assuredly.

[quote=“NormalDan, post:44, topic:3121”]I
think you’ve got your work cut out for you to prove that non-hitting based methods produce compliance as quickly as spanking, etc
[/quote]

see link above.

Clearly they didn’t hit you enough!

Because it’s normal. You’d probably resent it because you’re not used to it.

Ok, got a link?

No amount of spanking will trump 5000 years of confucian filial piety. You must respect (not fear) your elders.

I’m not sure how spanking is worse than injury and/or burns.

I got spanked as a kid. It was definitely effective.

1 Like