Democrats Say the Darndest Things!

yeah, OH

There were a lot of Amish farmers in the farming community in Ontario where I grew up. Very friendly folks. I did resent their income tax free status though but on the other hand they did opt out of government healthcare, education and pensions which are huge parts of government spending. And they paid provincial and federal sales taxes on everything they bought.

I always took the “that” to mean “you didn’t build that road or bridge which your business uses for free”, not “you didn’t build that business”.

1 Like

I think it’s a beautiful speech. And I take it as a subtle critique of capitalism.

On a fundamental level, nobody literally builds anything. Instead you borrow existing money, buy existing property, hire existing workers, utilize contracts and police and roads, source existing supplies, and find existing customers, who were previously spending their money somewhere else.

In short, we get rich by controlling things, not by building things. And theoretically, we should reward people for controlling things well, though sometimes we just reward people simply for controlling things at all.

1 Like

You think that “If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that.” actually means “If you’ve got a business you didn’t build that bridge.” ???

I do not think that’s what he meant at all. If it is what he meant then it’s even more poorly worded than I was assuming.

I think he meant “If you’ve got a business, you didn’t build that in a vacuum.” (Because you made use of roads and bridges and benefit from the security provided by the military and the police, and, and, and…)

Yep, I don’t know for sure, but that’s how I hear it when spoken despite being able to read it both ways. An alternative phrasing of “you didn’t build those” might have been better received if that were the intent, though still could be taken out of context.

1 Like

This is more in context with the other parts of the speech, which is why the word choice and order was so horrible. “that”'s antecedent looks like “business” when viewed in isolation. I disagree that roads are used for free, however, unless you don’t pay fuel tax.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m pretty whatever he said would have been twisted by right wing media. Al Gore didn’t actually say he invented the internet, didn’t stop Fox from running with that position.

4 Likes

I want to die being remembered as saying

'We have to pass ACA so that you can find out what is in it."

The tan suit
https://twitter.com/Genie2/status/1631710960791560212

1 Like

Bill Clinton’s & GWB’s tan suits both look bad.

Reagan’s & GHWB’s & Obama’s tan suits all look good.

:judge:

Actually, GWB’s tan suit is fine… it’s his hair that looks bad in the pic.

Clinton’s is the only suit that looks bad.

And he normally dressed fine.

Iirc, theres actually just one suit guy who cut suits for every president for decades.

Googling a bit, he apparently made the Obama tan suit as well, and died the next year, probably of embarrassment.

Too bad. The tan suit looked great IMO.

IMO, the best ‘Dems say the darndest things’ about suits is LBJ ordering a suit.

4 Likes

This is hilarious. I remember other examples of LBJ’s “earthiness” but had not heard this one before.

1 Like

I mean, i had heard he was hung like an ox, but i think comparing his member to an entire planet is going a bit far.
:laughing:

1 Like

What in the actual hell? They’re the best pants in the Yoonited States … except for the waist, the pockets, and the crotch… you know the crotch, right … that seam that runs from the nuts to the bunghole?

I’m sure most tailors have no idea what part of the pants the word “crotch” is describing and need that additional information.

:woman_facepalming::rofl::woman_facepalming::rofl::woman_facepalming::rofl::woman_facepalming:

1 Like

I think he was mansplaining.

2 Likes

This is more a “do the darndest thing” than a “say the darndest thing”.