Dance Thread

Didn’t know that Nicaraguan rebels in the 80’s could dance.

Oh shit it would be right-left-rockstep for you. I don’t like to gender myself on here and just did, lol. (Albeit I dance switch.)

Anyway that’s East Coast. The most common style I believe. It flows easily into Lindy Hop which I prefer. That flows easily into Charleston but I don’t like to more than dabble in that, the learning curve is steep IMO.

West Coast is weird and more related to ballroom styles IMO. Do not enjoy.

1 Like

Can’t act. Can’t sing. Slightly bald. Can dance a little.

I’ll second Bro’s suggestion and counter:

1. You don’t really meet people-- you swing around with them randomly.
  2. It’s not country but bluegrass. Country involves sexy crooning cowboys, and bluegrass is more fast, stompy, and fiddly.

Anyway, I would suggest trying it once-- maybe after this class is over. The nice thing about it is you don’t need to “learn” it or “be good” at it. You can have fun on your first day out.

1 Like

Yeh I love me a rehearsed dance but I could count on maybe 1 finger the number of people I’ve kept in touch with from one.

My 90% uninformed thoughts dance:

Learning new kinds of dances is kind of neat, but it’s also kind of boring, because you’re so busy learning the “basic steps”, instead of dancing the dances. Similar to other intros-, and samplers, you want to keep an eye out for what parts you like, and forget about the parts/dances you don’t like.

From your list, I liked Swing most, because, it emphasizes having fun over looking cool or sexy or proper. This resulted in me personally going to a regular Swing night for a little while. Not that I ever learned anything or got gud at it.

Waltz is definitely nice to at least comprehend, just for the extra flowy 3/4 time. When my kid was a baby I would often pick her up and waltz her to sleep.

In my intro class, I thought Tango was meh, like a very forced version of “passion”, but later, I took a class on Argentine Tango that was really focused on just feeling your partner and moving with them, and I liked it a lot. Might have just been the class, since in theory all dance is about that. But in my limited experience, most of the time you’re trying to send specific messages like “Hey, I’m twisting your hand, so time to spin!” while that class was about having deep psychic connection.

While the 2 classes I took were great fun, going to an dances that were not classes was always pretty stressful, because of social and dance expectations.

The first program I took back in Canada was called “Social Ease” because one of the first things they taught was how to not run into other couples when you’re dancing :smiley:. For example, you learn how to turn a corner, switch to smaller frames, and how to panic and keep dancing in one spot until the crisis has passsed.

:lolup:

Yeah, I think in some cases it works like this:

You’re supposed to ask a girl to dance.
She’s supposed to say yes.
Then you’re both supposed to be good at it and also attractive.

…Not a great set of expectations for a low stress environment.

(that doesn’t apply to contra-dances btw)

I know his picture used to be Tiffany’s current picture? Which is of a game that takes excellent coordination. So he should be able to do any dance, with his thumbs.

1 Like

You can turn any shoes into dance shoes:

I’m more a “dance in sneakers” gal, but I’ve found this works surprisingly well.You do need to walk around in it right after applying it – the pressure activates the adhesive, and any parts that don’t get pressed down firmly right away are apt to come loose. But used as recommended, it works really well. I have some that has stayed on for years. I even got it to stick well to sneakers with deep tread. I cut it to fit the surface of the tread, the lots of little pieces have all stayed put.

1 Like

Well, sometimes the girl is not as good, but gets lessons from the guy so they can dance at some other place. Then, it is implied that they had sex, even though he is way overaged and she is underaged. But it was the early 60’s, so it was OK.

I misread this thread title as Divorce Thread.

I’d have posted that in the Misread Thing thread, but my GoA status got downgraded and can’t access the lounge where that thread lies (and not lays).

1 Like

That is the best dance endorsement here.

Yeah… me too :thinking:. Well I refuse to post more than I already do if that’s the problem.

Nothing makes one feel fatter than the trying on of figure hugging, mostly see-through dance wearables. Particularly when you are fat.

Shoe order update - my shoes:
Pros: Made it on time, fit pretty good, not $300
Cons: Say “Made in China” on the bottom, a jewel already fell off the buckle

Shoe order update - OddSox shoes:
Pros: Made it on time
Cons: Ordered UK size 9 which is US size 10 but received US size 9, the internet is not happy with MoveDance’s customer service at all (there’s a “wait 30 days” return clause or something), I don’t like returning things so it wasn’t going to happen anyway

2 Likes

Husband and I are now signed up to do a “Showcase” which means we get to learn a routine and show it off in front of people. (Oh by the way, we graduated the “Beginner” program already).

We have homework to pick a song before the next class - but which one?!

2 Likes
2 Likes

2CELLOS - Thunderstruck [OFFICIAL VIDEO] - YouTube

2 Likes

Waltz? Tango? Fox Trot? Salsa?

1 Like