Damn that’s interesting

The northern most part of California is further north than the southernmost part of Canada.

There’s a lot of Americans living further north than a lot of Canadians.

What is the southernmost part of Canada? The part across from Detroit? My geography knowledge is crap.

Hollywood? Given all of the Canadians living in that area?
:man_shrugging:t4:

Point pelee, its a peninsula that juts way down into.the great lakes. Its got a very warm climate.

For scale, toronto is about the same latitude as detroit.iirc i have to go a bit north to go to detroit. Anything north of detroit is further north than many canadians.

The non intuitive part is that sw ontario is way south of the rest of canada, but its where everybody lives. The huge land mass thats north of the typical us-canada border, nobody actually lives there.

Its obvious here

1 Like

Yeah, i have seen population density maps of Canada, and everyone lives just barely over the border.

I can drive to Florida in the same time it takes me to drive to thunder bay which is in the same province as me.

One of the more useful uses of the Mercator Projection

1 Like

There’s a reason that Ontarians are unimpressed when Texans discuss the size of their state.

Ontario is enormous. when i moved to Minnesota I was blown away that it borders Ontario.

I guess you could say Ontario borders Minnesota to the North, South, East and West.

I’d like to move to the northern most part of Canada. There’s gotta be a village there somewhere.

there really isn’t. Population of the yukon, NWT, and nunavut is less than 150k and that’s basically the top third of the country.
90% of the population lives within 100 miles of the Can-US border. So draw a pencil line along the border, and everything above that has about 3.5 million people.
You want to look at it another way, take the US land mass and distribute 3.5 million people into it. Couple million in a few cities, the rest distributed. Basically there’s nothing there other than the occassional ‘city’ with a few thousand population that’s 8 hours drive from the next ‘city’.
Canada is really, really unpopulated.

Google cochrane ontario then go to maps. Zoom out so you can see ontario and quebec. the yellow roads that go through cochrane? There’s really no roads north of that. And cochrane has a population of 5K. Keep going west, next town is kapuskasing with 8k people. Then there’s nothing with more than 1k people for 10 hour drive until you hit thunder bay.

When people visit canada, they’re typically doing it in that 100 mile strip where the cities are - toronto, montreal, vancouver, etc. but outside of the other smaller cities, if you start heading north, you quickly run into thousands of miles of absolutely nothing but trees and lakes.

Fun trivia: the northernmost continually inhabited place on earth is the town of Alert, located in Nunavut, Canada.

Northernmost in the US is the city formerly known as Barrow, Alaska… made famous by the 1988 whale incident and re-immortalized in the movie Big Miracle. They’ve since re-named the city to its original Inuit name, which I’m not going to attempt to re-type.

It’s a great day for Thunder Bay. About 30% of my knowledge of Canada, and 60% of my knowledge of hockey, comes from Letterkenny.

2 Likes

maybe start with as northermost as there are towns? i visited carcross, YT. population is (per wiki) 301.

was on an alaskan crusie. stopped in skagway alaska. options for day events included a bus trip that would go to carcross. I figured I would never have a chance to be in YT, so that’s what we did. The scenery was beautiful. we passed lakes that would be amazing to live on, boat on, fish in, whatever. Not a single lake home to be seen on them. bc it is so remote already, they don’t need to move to the lake to get away from people. living in town is already close to that.

thught the little town was cool. had a bar. and a coffee place or two. (i assume slightly propped up by tours like the one I was on.)

I’d open up a gay bar there and fly the most gigantic rainbow flag there is

1 Like

When I was in elementary school in the 80s we had a project where we presented on a city/town somewhere in the US outside of our home state (Pennsylvania). We had to write a letter (way before email) to the city government requesting information about their city, and use that information as the basis for the presentation.

I looked at the map and immediately picked Barrow. My teacher didn’t reject my selection, but she clearly thought I wouldn’t hear anything back – and certainly not in the time frame of the project. So she made me send a similar request to Washington D.C. as a “backup”.

I never heard back from D.C. But I heard back from Barrow with plenty of time to spare. Of all the “wish I still had that from my childhood” stuff I’ve lost, that response from Barrow is probably the thing I miss most.

2 Likes

Summertime, though, right? That four-week period where it’s awesome.

1 Like

It took the kids 40 minutes to find Canada on a map…