Daily Brain Puzzlers Calendar

12/11/2022 Brown-bagging It

In this addition problem, each digit has been replaced with the same letter everywhere it appears. Can you reconstruct the problem?

C L A S S
 +   H A S

12/12/2022 Categories

For each category, write an answer that starts with the letter at the top of the column. Our answers may differ from yours.

12/11

u 0
n 1
s 3
a 5
h 6
c 8
l 9
1 Like

Correct!

12/12 - seems silly, since no single answer

says answer - not word
Cheese Cheddar Limburger Edam Farmers
Golf Chip Lag Putt Eye on the ball Fairway
Language Chinese Latin English French
Magazines Cosmopolitan Life Elle Family Circle

1 Like

Agreed, a few alternatives I had:

• fontina
  • club, loft, eagle
  • (the) economist, fortune/forbes
1 Like

I had trouble with a couple.

For F cheese, I had fondue, which seems like cheating. They used feta, which in retrospect seems like it should be a fairly obvious choice.

I also had trouble with the F magazine. I finally came up with Food, which I could swear I’ve seen, but doesn’t seem to turn up in a quick search.

The golf ones have the most variety. I’d had cup, lip, and fairway. They had caddie, lie, and fore.

also considered Fondue

Might be Food TV or Food Network

I was also wondering if Farmer’s Almanac was a magazine

12/13/2022

You get five clues to name a category. After each clue, take one guess. After you’ve made all five guesses., check the answer. Score the number of points in parentheses for your first correct guess. To keep you from looking ahead, clues 2 to 5 are printed backward. A total of 50 for two games is good; 100 is excellent; over 100 is amazing.

Game 1

1. fly (100 pts.)
  2. noitcurtsnoc (80)
  3. xaw (50)
  4. hparg (25)
  5. gnipparw (10)

Game 2

1. pillow (100 pts.)
  2. pils (80)
  3. recuas (50)
  4. rettolb (25)
  5. retsaoc (10)

Of all the puzzles, Sudoku is my favorite. The number puzzle is the best thing that man invented. Sometimes Sudoku is called a magic square, which is generally incorrect because Sudoku is a Latin square of order 9. Sudoku is actively published by newspapers and magazines worldwide, and Sudoku compilations are published in large print runs. Solving Sudoku is a popular form of leisure for any age. I made my 123calendars.com calendar, in which I marked all the dates when I was going to solve Sudoku puzzles. It has become a real passion in my life, and I want everyone to make puzzles their hobby.

Try a sudoku but replace the number 1 thru 9 with letters A thru I. You will see it’s not really a number puzzle.

Now Kenken is a number puzzle.

12/13

The backwards writing isn’t as trustworthy as the hiding the clue method here. I read all of Game 1 before I realized WTH you were doing

This works better, IMHO:

Summary

Game 1 is Paper

Game 2 I don’t know but I have a feeling that it is

Summary

somethings that are used as an underlayment?

If #2 is correct-ish, I claim a mere 20 points off of impatiently reading the clues and not really getting the Game 2 commonality

1 Like

Correct on both.

12/14/2022 Bits and Bytes

Put 0 or 1 in each empty cell of this grid so that every row and every column contains four 1’s and four 0’s. No more than two 1’s or two 0’s can be adjacent in any row or column. The solution is unique.

12/15/2022 Pangram Fill-in

Use each letter of the alphabet once in this grid. Some letters have already been placed. Can you finish the puzzle with the help of the randomly ordered clues?

A B C D E F G H I J K L M
N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Clues: quick test * waistcoat * old office transmission * like noisy rings of keys * child’s development * river bottom * sample page layout (hyph.)

12/14

0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0
1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1
1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1
0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0
0 1 1 0 1 0 0 1
1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0
0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 0
1 Like

CLUES?

Correct!

Sorry, the page got torn, so I thought there weren’t any. I found the other piece and added the clues to the original post.

12/15

actually had quite a bit without help

J V
F A X B E D
N M S
G R O W T H
L C
Y K
Q U I Z
P
1 Like