Culver's hype

100%, custard is on a whole 'nother level. Freddy’s and Culver’s all day over DQ.

1 Like

Oh, I see the one in Topeka (25 miles from me) is still open, I’ll hit that one sometime. If you’re ever in Topeka, number one, sorry about that. And two, I’ll treat YOU to Steak 'n Shake if you make it here.

1 Like

If it’s one of those Upscale Restuarants, we may have to make a visit.

This sounds wrong, cuz Pepsi (mainly the Diet Pepsi) sucks.

Also, soft ice cream/custard is meh. I have several nice “hard” ice cream shoppes in my area. so I have choices.
I’ve had Freddy’s a few times. Culver’s sounds like Freddy’s, which also has Pepsi.

1 Like

This. Although Culver’s has their own root beer, as previously mentioned, and they make a diet root beer that’s really, really good. So I get that when I’m at Culver’s.

I have tried Culver’s once, it wasn’t my favorite, I probably wouldn’t go back, but only because the nearest one is about 20 minutes away from my house, and I have a Wendy’s just down the street.

If I had a Burger King less than 20 minutes away, our family would primarily go there, because the Whopper is unmatched.

IATP (for fast food anyway)
I can think of a ton of burgers that are better than the lowly Big Mac

if you’re ever in Des Moines, B-Bops is pretty good. It’s kinda quirky, the tiny restaurant is designed to look like it’s the 1960s, and there are some benches outside, but a lot of people go through the drive thru.

The one not far from where I work has TWO drive thrus - one on each side of the building. Of course a lot of people in the car by themselves go on the right side of the building. If you want your order faster, go on the left side where there’s almost nobody and be prepared to crawl over to the passenger seat to pay and get your order once you’ve put your car in park.

1 Like

I had an AO thread many years ago about being in Topeka for an athletic event.

I asked the AO to finish this sentence: “I can’t believe you drove all the way to Topeka and you didn’t…”

A female (pretty sure) AOer piped in “…keep on driving.“

In the end, we didn’t have any extra time for frivolity but there was a hot air balloon “demonstration “ at the building next door so we took that in.

2 Likes

Good advice

I lived there from the end of 2001 to 2006. It was really kind of a dump. Very high crime.

In 2020 we moved from Denver to Lawrence, KS. Way, way nicer. I have been to Topeka since moving back to KS. I wouldn’t want to live there but it has improved since we left. The downtown area is kind of nice now.

1 Like

Culver’s has consistently had quality and menu variety that beats other fast food burger chains, i.e., McDonald’s, Burger King, Wendy’s, Jack-in-the-Box, even In ‘N’ Out. We ate there in multiple states.

I used to love the Whopper. I don’t know if my tastes changed, or the product changed. I still go sometimes, but mostly for the chicken fries. Yea, I know they are trash food, but I like them for some reason.

1 Like

I liked Fuddruckers because I would pile on the toppings. A cross between a burger and a salad with toppings continually falling out and being put back in.

But they demolished the local one in favor of a Texas Roadhouse.

Yeah, I never got why you’d order anything but the base burger there, as there is plenty to add on. Their pico de gallo was pretty good and I probably ate more pico de gallo there than hamberger. But the only one near me closed, also.

A lot of Culvers have been opening by me just in the past few years. I had a problem with over-ordering there to start - adding cheese curds to a probably-already-too-large order, for instance, but I’ve gotten that under control.

Wendy’s and Culver’s burgers are pretty comparable, both are a huge step up from McD’s. I used to like BK a lot but lately their service has been so unreliable and I feel like the BK burgers have taken a step down. Top that off with they always are offering some limited edition sandwich and I go there and they are out.

In general I feel that custard is a massive step up from ice cream. It has a much richer texture and mouth feel. That said custard does not freeze well, it needs to be made and consumed fresh. Also you are not going to get the variety of flavors in custard that you get with ice cream.

1 Like

Exactly, I wouldn’t even order cheese because there were two types of cheese sauce. A 1/3 lb burger was something like $6 and I don’t know how much money they were making off me. Afterwards I would get a delicious chocolate chip cookie.

Actually, I’m a big guy and I like the kids meal. Cheeseburger, fries, drink, and a small ice cream for 1 low price. It’s enough food and calories for an adult, easily. And it’s a ridiculous amount for a kids.

At least it’s not Missouri.

1 Like