Crisis at the ASU Campus

The person forming their own personal opinion?

If security was called on these guys or the school is fining them or anything like that, I am not okay with that situation.

If it was simply some random student saying “your bothering me, leave”, and a bunch of people on the internet opining on it, whatever.

1 Like

They had blue lives matter and were eating chic filet…in a space designated for marginalized students. Too many things for me to believe this wasn’t deliberate.

This was two geniuses who thought displaying the sticker and the chick filet in the space would be funny. It seems quite deliberate. And they got the expected reaction.

If it was deliberate, isn’t that the way a non-violent protest is supposed to work?

I’m not disagreeing. Your picture makes a valid point. The only difference is that these guys are idiots. But I agree the intent is the same, just my opinion of the two situations is different.

I know, because a protest we disagree with is typically done by idiots, and protests we agree with are done by heroes.

Sorry, busy being a contributing member of society and raising a kid to be one to pay attention to your posturing for d-bag protection. Have fun on your hill.

1 Like

There are a lot of people who saw that lunch counter picture and thought those people were idiots too.

Unfortunately, there are probably still people who feel that way.

1 Like

What were they protesting?

This is a “crisis” like a Karen screaming that she doesn’t need to wear a mask in a private business that asks people to, or some dude mad that he can’t prance around wearing his bedsheets without people thinking he’s racist. Nothing to see here, move along.

1 Like

Now you’re getting it.

Personally, I have a different reaction to people protesting against being marginalized for “who/what they are” than for “what they do”. Lunch counter was the former, as far as I can tell, these guys were the latter. At least - I can’t see anywhere that white people aren’t allowed in the “multicultural area” - it was the message they were sending that was the offensive part.

1 Like

Before you comment again, I suggest you actually watch the video and listen to the audio.

I did. The whole thing started with a reference to the message they were sending. Then everyone involved started saying some stupid things.

Was the girl who was talking/filming any type of authority? If not, I don’t really care what she says.

They reference being told to leave, but, again - I don’t know if that was by someone with authority to enforce it. If so, that’s a problem. If not, meh.

I would imagine that “white guy not trying to send a message” would be welcomed there. If not, that’s a problem

1 Like

So is it only “white guys trying to send a message” that should be unwelcome in the multi-cultural space?

Is it OK for white guys wearing BLM shirts to be there? (for simplicity I’m follow your lead that this wouldn’t be considered a message, even though it sure seems like a message)
Is it OK for POCs to wear BLM shirts there?
Is it OK for POCs to wear MAGA hats there?

I’m not sure I see where/how you draw a boundary for acceptable/unacceptable.

I draw my boundary. You draw yours. Lady filming will draw hers. They will all be different.

Ultimately, the one that matters most is the one written into official, enforceable rules. Those I am more likely to have a problem with than random person’s opinion on the matter (even if random person is me).

I thought that was the whole point of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

No individual can be discriminated based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin in public places, schools and employment .

It actually seems pretty simple. I’ll let that be my boundary.

Sounds good. I don’t see “message” in that list.

4 Likes

FTR - I would expect that (to make an extreme example) an Asian woman wearing a shirt saying “I hate Native Americans” would probably be asked by someone to leave. I don’t know the actual rules of the place though (or if these guys or the girl in my example would have broken those rules).

1 Like