CPAC National Anthem

Because it was ALL OVER social media and other places to the extent that it was nearly impossible to miss it.

Are you aware of the fact that Harry and Meghan have separated from royal duty? Because that received considerably less attention than William Hung’s American Idol audition.

You know, the thing about social media is that due to algorithms, everyone sees different stuff. You may mostly see the same stuff as the friends you interact with on social media, but not as everyone else.

That’s one of the weird divisive things about social media – it gives you the impression that some perspective is normative, and EVERYONE knows that trump is the antichrist, or biden stole the election, or whatever. But you see the same effect in more benign things, like American Idol.

Other than the ao, I don’t spend a ton of time on social media. But just from chatting here, I can tell that what I see on Facebook is pretty different from what you see. Anyway, I never saw anything about American Idol there.

Which is a little odd, thinking about it, because I have a lot of gay men in my Facebook feed, and I might have expected several of them to watch it. But maybe Facebook correctly guessed I wouldn’t be interested?

:woman_shrugging:

Anyway, I may have seen an article about Harry and Meghan separating from royal duty, it sounds vaguely familiar. I get news alerts from Reuters, WSJ, NPR, Al Jazheera, and The Economist every day, so if any of those thought it worth mentioning, I probably saw it.

I’m not even sure I was on any social media platforms when he auditioned…

Not everyone is a sheep.