COVID mortality

They also cite this:

which seems to be regularly updated.

The UK has been conducting a large study on mixing and matching vaccines.

Hereā€™s the preprint of the results:
Preprint in the Lancet

And hereā€™s a readable article about it:
Combining AstraZeneca and Pfizer COVID Vaccines May Boost Immunity: New Study - The Wire Science

As for one dose ā€“ yes, thereā€™s data on that, but the most recent data is that you need two doses if you get exposed to Delta.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a blog by an epidemiologist thatā€™s been doing a decent job of summarizing and explaining covid news, especially regarding vaccines:

Your Local Epidemiologist (substack.com)

2 Likes

Thank you for that. It was exactly what I was looking for.

Hereā€™s a nice table.

If Iā€™m reading it correctly, the P & M vaccines are ~80% effective after just one dose and then ~95% after the second. J&J is ~75% effective.

ā€¦this is against the original recipe covidā€¦not the extra crispy variants.

Iā€™m glad you like it. I think sheā€™s been doing a really nice job of summarizing interesting info.

Not accurate if my understanding is correct.

J&Jā€™s 75% data does include some variants. Pfizer and Moderna data doesnā€™t. Thatā€™s why they look better. So itā€™s not an apples to apples comparison, although even the J&J data is pre-Delta variant.

1 Like

Yeah, the table that I linked to makes it seem as if we are, but yada yada yadaā€¦mmm apple pie.

I mean, I donā€™t think a true apples-to-apples comparison exists.

Moderna & Pfizer vaccine trials were done before the variants emerged. Johnson & Johnsonā€™s were done later and partly in South Africa, home of the Beta variant at a time when the Beta variant had emerged in South Africa, but was still pretty localized. J&Jā€™s numbers with the South Africa data stripped out were much better, although I think still not as good as Pfizer and Moderna. But a lot closer.

:iatp:

Been a while since I looked at the trial data, but I believe there were also some differences across the trials in the endpoints measured (i.e. what is a ā€œcaseā€) and the amount/frequency of asymptomatic testing done.

Russia

Hey, Richie Rich, could you please paste that for us?

I have a friend who grew up in Russia, and still has a lot of friends and family there. I was chatting with her on-line when we were all waiting to get vaccinated, and she said the Russians she knows donā€™t trust the Russian vaccine. I was surprised, because the published data for Sputnik was excellent. But I suppose they could have lied in the the published data. And Russians do not trust their government.

psst

not a flat tire

http://archive.today/oWfEx

1 Like

Thank you my good man!

1 Like

As the Delta variant rapidly spreads, US hot spots have seen climbing case numbers ā€“ and an expert warns a ā€œsurprising amount of deathā€ from Covid-19 could soon follow.

The US is averaging about 19,455 new cases over the last seven days, a 47% increase from the week prior, according to data from Johns Hopkins University. And a third of those, CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Jonathan Reiner said, come from five hot spots: Florida, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri and Nevada.

ā€œIn places like Missouri where ICUs are packed, youā€™re going to see a surprising amount of death,ā€ Reiner said on Sunday.

I had an aunt-in-law (vaccinated) who came back from Florida with the Delta variant. Shā€™eā€™s ok now, had mild cold symptoms.

We took our first vacation last week. Not my idea but son had expiring PTO and wife was against vacation accrual cap so figured what the hell weā€™re all vaccinated. Now Iā€™m awaiting the COVID test results. Should know in 24 hours if itā€™s Covid or rando common cold.

At any rate if it is Covid symptoms are relatively mild. No worse than mild common cold at this point.

I got back from my first flight since COVID a week ago tonight. So far, I do not have covid symptoms. Wonā€™t feel like Iā€™m totally in the clear for another few days though. The flight there seemed riskier than the flight back because I sat next to someone else and that flight was totally full, but both were risky imo.

my guess is you have a rando common cold though if itā€™s cold symptoms.

Well, if you catch a mild case of covid, and isolate so you donā€™t give it to anyone, you wonā€™t need the next booster. Think of the bright side. :wink:

That is what Iā€™m hearing about Delta with Vaccination. Itā€™s still contagious, so you can spread it to people, who spread it to people (times infinity), eventually to some who arenā€™t vaccinated.

We did fly to Indiana for my daughterā€™s graduation in May and had no issues.

I suspect itā€™s a random CC but I am avoiding any public areas til I find out for sure.

None of the other 3 family members on the trip are showing any symptoms at this time. But my wife got a test yesterday and should have results today so weā€™ll know if she has it but is asymptomatic.