Columbus day

I thought today was also Indigenous Peoples’ Day in the US? Is it not observed instead of Columbus Day in some states?

I think it was made Indigenous People’s Day as some sort of weird concession to American Indians for celebrating the birthday of a guy who paved the way to their genocide.

I don’t know of anyone who treats that as an actual real thing. Maybe some tribes do? I suspect their own tribal holidays are more important to them than Let’s-Pretend-It’s-Not-Columbus-Day-Without-Actually-Canceling-Columbus-Day Day.

2 Likes

That’s why the mailman didn’t come today.

I figured this out after the second time I checked the mail. D’oh.

3 Likes

Yes, as i stated in the op, its indigenous people day and also italian pride day. I object to Italian pride day, but as twig said it does seem like a concession to indigenous people and not all that meaningful to them and an excuse to still celebrate Columbus

We know you mentioned in New York that it was called both. I was asking if it was observed in other states.

1 Like

I think this is a new thing that started with President Biden, but it’s federal at any rate. The President declares it Indigenous People’s Day on the day that is also Columbus Day, which is and always has been a national holiday. But like… a holiday that anyone who’s not Italian-American doesn’t give a rip about unless they work for one of the few employers that still gives the day off.

1 Like

Does that mean calling it “italian heritage day” is just a new york thing?

Or if they give a rip it’s in the other direction… actively disliking that Columbus Day is a thing that is observed. But mostly couldn’t care less in either direction unless they get the day off work. And then it’s just a get stuff done day or sleep in & relax day. Americans not of Italian descent don’t have Columbus Day traditions, and certainly not Indigenous People’s Day traditions as I would venture to guess that a full 75% of Americans have not even heard of Indigenous People’s Day. Probably up to and including a substantial number of indigenous peoples.

That might just be a New York thing to somehow justify continuing to have the parade without feeling like they are being quite so mean to Indians.

Maybe other places that also have big parades??? The only place I’ve ever seen it mentioned is in your posts, but I am certainly not the final word on such matters.

My iPhone calendar recognizes Columbus Day, but not Indigenous People’s Day or Italian Heritage Day.

There are about 7 choices of which holidays to display and I certainly only picked one of them because otherwise you get 7 notifications that it’s Labor Day or Veteran’s Day… some of which come at midnight. No clue which one I picked. I’m guessing that one or the other or both might be in some of the other options.

If i google it, most results seem to indicate its a new york thing and possibly some.other cities in California.

In new york its claimed that as a previously marginalized group, Italian americans somehow need this holiday and Italian americans were against naming it indigenous people day. Big push from staten island (shocking :roll_eyes: ) Complete nonsense.

Naw, all the schools around here have called it indigenous people day for several years, now, starting before trump was president. My friend who teaches in Chicago says the schools all call it indigenous peoples day there, too, and i certainly got the impression from him that it’s been called that for a while there, too.

I like “Italian heritage day”. That seems like a nice nod to the Italians. Around here i see yard signs that say “Italians are people, too”.

Who the hell was denying that italians are people any time in recent history (my lifetime) that we need a day off from work to go to a parade for them?

Its an insult to actual marginalized groups. You obviously didn’t grow up on staten island where italian americans made you feel subhuman for being jewish like i did.

You might as well have white pride day if you’re going to have italian pride day. Thats exactly what it is where i grew up. Its bizarro world to claim in 2022 that those of italian decent are a marginalized group in new york. They have been a majority since at least the 1980s where i grew up.

This all came up because a Facebook friend from staten island who has both italian heritage and jewish heritage posted how in growing up on staten island she was told to be ashamed of her jewish heritage and proud of her italian heritage. The show “the jersey shore” where they have the attitude that if you’re not italian you’re nothing is very typical of the staten island attitudes. I was recently talking to a Hispanic coworker who i just found out grew up on the south shore of staten island. He got a shit ton of racism there and hated it. I was horrified to learn that he was from the south shore. It must have been awful for him. Another fb friend who is half jewish and half japanese and grew up around the corner from me also was speaking about the extreme racism she experienced on staten island.

We dont need a holiday as italian americans are the opposite of a marginalized group. Every day on staten island is a “nod” to italian americans.

Maybe where you grew up. Where i grew up, it was WASPs who ruled the roost. Italians and Irish were okay, but ethnic. And we don’t talk about Jews (or Asians or Blacks.)

The only time I’ve ever gotten Columbus day off was when i lived in New Jersey.

Is it called italian heritage day where you grew up for this to even be a valid opinion? It isnt everywhere. It is in nyc and in your opinion thinking it is oh so great to give a nod to Italian americans with a day off, you didnt even consider that maybe where they are actually doing this, italians are the ones marginalizing everyone else.

I used to live in Manhattan, and my kids did not feel marginalized by Italians. I’m not sure there were even any Italians in their classes.

Where i live there a huge fight between indigenous people day and Columbus day, and some very hard feelings in both sides. I think it might be viable to label the day both Italian heritage and indigenous people. There’s no way to call it both Columbus and indigenous people.

Im not talking about manhattan. Im talking about staten island.

Italians aren’t marginalized in manhattan either or being the ones with a superiority complex to need a holiday either. I have lived in manhattan for 21 years

So again, why is italian heritage day needed in nyc?

Im sure there were kids with italian backgrounds in their classes, but they are less in your face about it in manhattan and they aren’t marginalized either to need their own pride day

Indigenous Peoples’ Day is too “woke” a concept to gain acceptance within certain groups in the US.

Why do we need an Irish heritage day in NYC (and other places) on the 17th of March? :smiley:

(I wouldn’t have a problem with an Italian Heritage Day on par with St. Patricks Day. But it’s annoying to have a federal holiday to celebrate the start of a chain of events that led to the death of up to 90% of the indigenous population of the Americas, and other atrocities.)