CL, EL, Cups and non-EPL League discussion

WTF is this word (bolded by me) a ESPN?

Mbappé still looking for illusive Champions League dream with PSG

OK, google…

What is the difference between illusive and elusive?

In summary: Something that is elusive avoids being caught, either physically by someone pursuing it, or mentally by someone trying to understand it. Something that is illusive is based on an illusion, on something that is not true or real.

I don’t think that words means what they think it means…

1 Like

i’m happy for the PSG result, as that means I get to see a Champions league match where they need to win to be sure they go through.

…and Dortmund is incented to win to potentially toss PSG out or at least draw to win group.

1 Like

Seems like a missed opportunity, then. Maybe … nah, that makes way too much sense.

If it is. That’s the key thing. And if we’re going to slow-mo, frame-by-frame detail to figure out offsides, why can’t we use that same standard for a ton of other stuff? Oh, right - because … we don’t want the game bogged down in long reviews for everything, that’s the beauty of the beautiful game, or some shit like that.

Besides, does that really give the player an advantage? Or are we just whistling it offside on some imaginary “we need to preserve the integrity of the game” standard? Cause, if we’re doing that, why is possible simulation [which is far more damaging to the integrity of the game] not review-worthy? Oh, right … at least in the EPL we can do that if it involves a penalty, maybe if the referee was going to show a straight red, but otherwise … sanctity of the beautiful game and not taking forever reviewing calls and such.

Your hyperbolic example implied that it already was.

I’m not nearly as invested in arguing this as you are, so … whatever.

No worries. Any other questions regarding the LOTG, I’m available.

American to the rescue!!

I hope you’re not leaving soon. Munich has snow. A shit-ton.

Have you never seen a professional soccer game played in the snow?

Its hilarious. Worth watching once at least.

1 Like

Nope. Also won’t be near Munich.

I have started watching the weather. At the moment, forecast is so typical for German winter: cold with showers every day. Mid 30’s to mid 40’s.

The coat I’d like to bring for these conditions is a waterproof hard shell that goes to mid thigh and has a zip in fleece liner. It would work well for the conditions, but I am hesitant because it’s blue and fairly close to Schalke colors. Not sure it’s wise to sit in BVB stands wearing something similar to colors of their main rivals even though I’ll be cheering for BVB. Maybe I’ll ask a BVB fan about that.

You’ll just have to buy an XXXL jersey to cover it.

A friend of a friend is a sportswriter and sometimes BVB journalist. I hooked him up with the BVB locals here when he was covering the Superb Owl. I sent him a note a little while ago. Haven’t heard back yet.

FA Cup Third Round Proper draw held EPL and EFL Championship teams joining the winners of the Second Round Proper winners.
NEW play SUN at Stadium of Light. Not sure of the last time they played each other in a competitive match. wiki tells me March of 2016.
Record for each team in this Tyne-Wear (or Wear-Tyne) Derby is 53-50-53.

Copa America schedule is out. Who is planning to go?

I will try to make the Atlanta matches assuming tickets aren’t too hard to come by. I might go to others

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/copa-america-2024-schedule-and-venues-announced-usmnt-will-play-first-game-at-at-t-stadium-in-texas/

3 games in Vegas. Will check into tickets.

Could be something like Uruguay-Canada. US QF game would be great.

1 Like

Greece Referees boycotting:

A proper league would realize there is a natural rivalry there, make sure at least one rivalry game is scheduled per season and, I don’t know, maybe get a brewery to sponsor it.

Copa America draw was last night. Here are the fixtures
https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/copa-america-2024-draw-schedule-usmnt-to-face-uruguay-panama-and-bolivia-argentina-get-chile/live/

Given the draw, it would be disappointing if the US doesn’t make it out of the group stage on home turf. They should be the heavy favorite for 2nd place in the group.

I would have enjoyed better draws for ATL, but will be excited to see both matches here.

Vegas should get a great game on July 6th with the group C winner and group D runner up. The heavy favorite in C should be Uruguay followed by USA, and group D should be Brazil/Colombia.

Whether these 2 groups play out as expected or whether you get an upset, that match is one to circle IMO.