CL, EL, Cups and non-EPL League discussion

Genoa v AC Milan had each goalkeeper receiving red cards, with Olivier Giroud playing goal for the last few minutes for Milan, saving a goal.

Yes. Apparently, Giroud PK shirts are selling like hotcakes now. They sold out in hours.

What a crazy game. Never seen anything like it.

After 3 months, no posts about the Saudi league. Must be captivating.

1 Like

Well, by captivating, you mean a player being hauled away, executed, then cut up and carted out? No, it is not captivating.

Yet.

Saudi league was never going to compete against Europe (1st tier leagues)

But they can remain 2nd tier.

Thats their aim in my view as they don’t really have the fan base for the 1st tier.

You have been to UK games now so you have seen the difference (vs US/Can). It will be even more marked vs SA.

Absolute cracker of a match for MUN.

In case you’re watching later:

Into the fifth of five extra minutes, McTominay tried to clear from the Penalty Area with a high kick and pops an FCC player in the head.
Penalty.
Onana saves!

Turkey and Belgium lead the coefficient points contest to add another team to the Group Stage next year.
As their teams get eliminated, the points will dry up, and England and Spain should end up on top .

City playing on Artificial turf today, in Switzerland.

Pep says if UEFA approved it, it must be OK.
But, they arrived a day early to practice on it.

Dude gets sacked after losing zero matches, in second place in the league. Guess which league?
No, not MLS or EPL or Ligue 1 or Bunde (though PSG and Bayern might some to mind, with their hair triggers).
No, the Saudi Second League wants to be big-league, so out goes Fowler.

Going to have a glass of bubbly tonight

Bellingham just scored a brace and we beat Barca 2-1 in the Clasico in injury time.

Real is back with a vengeance this year. :slight_smile:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/live-blogs/barcelona-real-madrid-live-score-updates-result-el-clasico/la5YHHdNfN6k/%3Famp=1

Jude Bellingham getting a lot of attention these days.

Don’t know whether you have seen the Netflix Beckham documentary but the mystique around Real Madrid was one of the best parts. Also mind blowing that Zidane, Beckham and (Brazilian) Ronaldo plus some other stars were all playing together on that team.

I watched that documentary after hearing so many comments about it.

I quite liked it. It was very interesting (back-story wise). Specially the time around the WC game with Argentina and his time at AC Milan.

The English fans’ hostile reaction to Beckham’s red card in the Argentina match at the 1998 WC was incredible.

He certainly had an interesting career and personal life.

Does it include the prank that James Corden played on him?

Don’t remember that. It did cover his marriage infidelity though.

Harry Kane has settled well into Bayern. Most impressive of his 3 goals yesterday:

1 Like

I’d rather CBS Sports Network do their Golazo show, showing all the matches and their highlights in almost real time. Showing only one match, and not even showing highlights of other matches, even at halftime, because Paramount+ needs the eyeballs, is a huge shame.
If all of European Football were on one streaming service, I’d consider subscribing.
As it is, ESPN+ has La Liga and Bunde and FA tourneys; Peacock has EPL; Para+ has the Euro Cups. AppleTV has MLS, but who cares. And Max (sometimes shows on TBT) has USSF teams. Too much, IMO. I guess I could dump my YouTubeTV and get only the streaming services.

Congrats to Ramsgate, who’s in the Second Round Proper of the FA Cup as an 8th-tier squad from the Isthmian League, South East Division. Now to see if they’re joined by fellow league member Cray Valley Paper Mills, who have a replay against League One side Charlton Athletic.

1 Like

"The red card was harsh. [Rashford] went for the ball, but the referee had such a long time to make it a red card. When you freeze it, it always looks worse. They took so long to make a red card of it.

“I’m very disappointed with the decisions, the game was never meant to be like this. Decisions have to be made, wrong decisions can be made, but three such tough decisions [went against us].”

“Wrong decisions are fine when they end up in our favor. Wrong decisions against us? CHECK THE VAR!!”

1 Like

To give up lead at 2-0 and 3-2 is wonderful.

1 Like