ChatGPT to actually get some work done

I think it’s going to destroy online tutoring.

But I also don’t think online tutoring was ever a thing. Virtual schooling basically failed during the pandemic.

Khan Academy has implemented GPT-4. You can ask it questions about any lesson or video. You might think that that would be a big deal. But actually, Khan Academy was already wonderful. My kid uses it. The video lesson plans are excellent, and the problem sets are excellent. She doesn’t need to ask it bot questions. In terms of educational content, it’s already much better than your average lesson. What is actually missing is the human interaction.

People like to snark that teachers are just babysitters.

But you know what AI can’t do? Babysitting.

Because of that, teaching is (imo) safer than other professions.

Teaching is harder than people think, mainly because it’s not merely lecturing at people, answering questions, and grading papers. You have to actually understand where people are not following you and anticipate trouble. This is why webinars are difficult - I can’t see people’s faces to look at their reactions. Standing in front of a room, I can see if people are getting what I’m saying, for instance.

I have friends who do specialized online tutoring, but it’s very targeted skill sets. It’s not a generic “let’s do some math problems” - you need to have motivated students with a goal (in one case, it’s getting a specific score on the LSAT).

Yeah, that kind of job is in trouble imo. AI is perfect for that kind of personalization.

It still needs to actually Ace those tests, but it’s close (eg. 90%ile LSAT). And will either get there in another generation, or with some recursive hacks.

For his type of student, it’s like having a personal trainer at the gym – you need somebody who will actually get you to the next step.

He generally has difficult students. Perhaps AI will get them there, but they generally need somebody with excellent people skills to get them past their mental test-taking barriers, not merely know how to do the questions.

Run-of-the-mill people who could learn from just practicing with some factual feedback, yes, AI could do that. I have a different friend who is a college math instructor who worked on an app that does that. The issue is getting people to actually do the practice.

1 Like

Oh yeah, people paying for motivation.

Yes, that will still exist, and is sort of why teachers will always exist as well.

That said it’s quite a luxury. Unlike paying for expertise.

This could be me as well. I’m in the process of developing an algebra review workshop for undergrads. So far it’s been hard to get consistent engagement. Next time I run it I plan on hounding them with a problem-of-the-day and see if that keeps them on track.

1 Like

…or TRY to get a job

https://twitter.com/mikebeckhamsm/status/1666432374744178689

I guess that’s the new “atention to detail”

I would certainly say that company is giving (advice) generously.

3 Likes

I used it to help me write a vba macro that checks some stuff and lists the results.

It took quite a few iterations to get it to work, but I’m not a good enough programmer to have figured it out by myself.

Time well spent and worth the cost of admission.

It’s the bot’s fault I’m a lazy ass!

But seriously, will people take their processes for checking computing work of any sort now.

WILL THEY

no

they will not

The sentence you shared seems to be a bit unclear and might be missing some context. However, based on what you’ve provided, it appears that the person is questioning whether people will continue to follow their procedures or methods for verifying or evaluating any type of computing work. The sentence suggests a sense of doubt or skepticism about the future adherence to these processes. Without additional context, it’s challenging to determine the exact intended meaning.

1 Like