CAS posted new CBT sample problems

Hey all,

The CAS announced that they added a few new problems to the CBT Sample Exams demo on Pearson Vue. Here’s the announcement:

You can jump straight to the sample exam problems here.

Unfortunately, there aren’t any new Exam 7 problems, but there are two from the fall sitting of Exam 8. Probably worth a look to see how they’re adjusting problems to be more spreadsheet-focused compared to the old exams.

Also for the spring exam, essay-only questions will be asked in a text box format instead of on the spreadsheet. The updated demo exam shows a few problems of that format.

2 Likes

Why in god’s name are we still using distribution table lookups when we’re on the computer??

(not actually taking exams, just complaining on the students’ behalf)

Are there any suggestions you have to adjust our studying to adequately prepare for this adjustment? Doesn’t seem like these questions require any complex functions on first glance.

Are there any suggestions you have to adjust our studying to adequately prepare for this adjustment? Doesn’t seem like these questions require any complex functions on first glance.

I don’t see anything that should change your preparation in particular.

I do think this part of the CAS post is worth paying attention to:

…candidates will not be required to have knowledge of specific spreadsheet formulas to receive full credit. If a particular spreadsheet function is recommended to produce a result, candidates will be given instructions for its use, or a definition of inputs and outputs. Candidates should compose responses and show all work and reasoning to maximize credit.

• If a complex Excel function is necessary, they’d give it to you
  • Take a look at the sample solutions to get a feel for how much work you need to show to get maximum credit
  • Make sure your work is easy to follow, but also note that exam graders can see your Excel formulas like a normal spreadsheet, so don’t waste time showing calculations in text AND in an Excel formula

Those are my main takeaways.