CAS no longer offers exams in Québec due to Bill 96 (language law)

Whelp its off to Cornwall for them!

Jk. Ottawa is only an hour or two drive from Montreal so not the end of the world. Though maybe that sucks for students without cars

1 Like

I had just assumed that the CAS had always offered the French option in Quebec for its exams since the SOA does.

Guessing that Burlington, Vermont may see a lot of Montrealers writing CAS exams there in addition to Ottawa. A bit further to go for Quebec City residents.

3 Likes

One can enjoy a nice beverage and a band on Church Street Marketplace after the exam. They even serve some pretty decent poutine there.

1 Like

How many ActSci majors at McGill? Maybe they can bus the students to Ottawa and work out a deal with a hotel to put them up the night before? You’d think they’d want to do something to help their students out. So they can get a group rate on overnight lodging and offer a bus ride to/from Ottawa plus a private hotel room for $X or a shared hotel room for $Y.

1 Like

I don’t know about McGill, but there are several at UQAM and Concordia.

1 Like

I don’t think McGill has much in the way of actuarial science. Neither McGill nor my Alma Mater, Queen’s, even bothered to get accredited in the CIA’s UAP.

The big school for actuarial science in Quebec by far is Laval in Quebec City. I have two friends who teach in the actuarial science faculty there so will wish them a happy new year and find out Laval’s reaction.

Ok, someone mentioned McGill so I assumed it was another ActSci powerhouse like Laval or Waterloo. But it seems that McGill is simply a school in Quebec with a lot of English-speaking students.

Sub Laval for McGill in my post then.

McGill is the best university in Quebec by far and scores well in international rankings. A good actuarial science program doesn’t count much in the rankings!

McGill is usually the first choice in Canada for American students who want an Ivy League quality education at less than Ivy League prices. And it is hard to beat the experience of living in vibrant Montreal for your university years. My middle daughter went to McGill for her undergraduate studies and was amazed at the number of NYC-area students she met.

4 Likes

Completely untrue and unrelated but the conspiracy theorist in me says that the timing of this too conveniently matches the CIA’s starting of their P&C track :slight_smile:
ok bad joke.

2 Likes

These were my thoughts exactly!!

Ditto

The SOA still has the English/French option for candidates. :+1:

1 Like

But does the new rule mean that candidates in Quebec may not choose English exams? Like if I wanted to sit for an exam in Montreal I previously could have selected English OR French? Is the SOA now forced to force me to select French?

Or for paper exams are they now forbidden from printing the exam in both languages in the same booklet? Am I forced to write my answers in French?

The way I read the SOA blurb is that there is a toggle to activate French I don’t know if that meets the letter and spirit of Bill 96, or even 101 for that matter. :man_shrugging:

I am ooooooold enough to remember when the brown candidata envelopes had a check box for French/English responses.

3 Likes

As I understand it, if you are in Québec you are allowed to elect to study and take the exam in English, but you must be offered the opportunity to study and take the exam in French.

Also, “contracts of adhesion” must now always be presented initially in French, although both parties can elect to change to English (or another language) if they wish, after the initial presentation. Whether any of the agreements involved in registering/taking an exam qualify as “contracts of adhesion” is beyond my expertise.

I believe it boils down to: if you are looking to do business with individuals in Québec, you have to be able to have the entire business relationship be in French. You aren’t required to do it all in French, but French has to be an option, and either party can require it to be in French.

(There are certain services that anglophone Quebeckers are entitled to have in English, and some exceptions for the anglophone First Nations communities in northern Québec.)

1 Like